Class Politics why so strict?

I'm happy w/ I do have a wish list on the other thread, but it's just that a "wish list". I'm not gonna make a stink over it. My big beef is the sail, but we all have to deal wth it for now. Whatever the case I like the class being "strict" on our OD rules. It minimizes the "arms race". Salsa is a young buck w/lots of energy. He has been able to get some discussion going, (even if half of it is him). I'm ok w/discussion.

really good rob B, you make a good point all of us have things we "wish" to have changed. and the strict rulles prevents and "arms race" between companies trying to sell us stuff they may, or may not work.

and salsa u r doin somthing good you are getting ever body talking, and we all agree onone thing the sails need to be alot cheeper. and we shold be able to buy from who ever as long as the measurment and material is standard.

The idea of one design has grown on me. I bought a laser because it was the best choice for my local conditions, body wieght, physical condition and budget. Initially I wasn't looking to race it, but I'm glad I do now. I've learned stuff in a laser I somehow missed with a stayed rig and thousands of lines and blocks for everything.

A cheaper sail would be great - a cheaper anything is great - as long as it's the same or better quality. Who wants to pay more than they have to?

My boat came with a turbo kit and all the bits and pieces that are still the forefront of the rule book. I can see that life would be difficult adjusting the outhaul from the boom cleat, though not impossible. I'm glad I don't have to try in 35kn winds, surfing down the face of a wave, or rounding the leeward bouy in similar conditions while trying to maintain s-curving. Maybe if I had to do those things, I would have learned something extra about balance and skill. Who knows.

Personally, i'm in the leave it alone camp. If I wanted to fiddle I'd change classes. The laser rig as it stands is good enough. Whatever shortcomings still exist must be made up for by atheleticism in the sailor. As has already been said, if I lose it's my problem, not the rigging. That philosophy really pushes laser sailors to be the best and I like it like that. I'd prefer it if those who want to turn Lasers into moths by degrees would either change classes, or win an olympic gold in the standard rig first, but I'm not agro about it.

Maybe I'll take the turbo kit off one day and learn something new. Then I'll go out against sailors with the latest kit and keep at it till I beat them.:D

Cost, Cost, Cost. This is the largest fleet in the world. It's not just because the boat is fast-there are many faster boats. Economy keeps this class strong-probably growing in a declining sport. Lightning Class has limited innovation and still has priced itself into a corner. The great thing about these little boats (and I've yet to get mine in the water) is that the worst expenses are manageable. I made my own better vang-only 5:1, but rigged with a cam cleat. Cost me $20 less than the fancy cascaded upgrade. I'm 190 lbs and don't need no 18:1.
I'm for upgrades-but only the cheap ones! NO CARBON MASTS!
This is a boat a teenager can still save up for! And be competitive! That cannot but help the sport. Young sailors become old sailors.

Back