Why are Laser's holding value so much these days?

134054-LYRA

The reason I ask is that I was looking through the for sale ads and hoping to find a good used boat. Everything seems so expensive.... I've seen 1978 boats for sale for $2k, or a 1992 boat with a trailer for $2500. These values seem extortionate.

Here's why I ask... I bought my first Laser in 1990 for $800. The 1978 boat was complete with trailer. The next boat was bought in 1992 for $800. This was a 1988 Canadian hull that was in awesome shape. All covers and both full and radial rigs.

I know that inflation is applicable, but jeez... its just a Laser.

By the way, I'm not complaining, just trying to understand. I currently have a 1997 hull that is fantastic, but I also bought it and the trailer for $250....

Jason

I believe what you are seeing is some people are not exactly reasonable with their asking price. I'll sell my Laser to the first $ 8,000.00!

My 1984 was free and it came with a trailer. I had to have it repaired though,as it had been hit by a car and had a hole in the transom about the size of a softball. I think I paid $325 for the repair and to replace all the lines and hiking strap.

Barometer Soup
Park City Sailing Association

I agree that some boats can be quite high priced... I find that the word-of-mouth boats are cheaper than the advertised ones... I purchased and ancient boat with a tailer and a leaky mast step for $400... then I purchase a '74 boat (dry, pro rigged, no trailer) for $750.

The first one was a guy on our lake that had been trying to sell his boat for some time, had originally asked 700 for it... I waited Until the end of the season and offered him $400... after I googled "Laser" to figure out if it was a good boat... The other one I stumbled upon after contacting a yacht club that I knew was retiring their laser fleet... I asked if there were any boats around and a few days later I rec'd an email from a guy....

One day I will buy a new one, but it's not going to be one day anytime soon.

The reason I ask is that I was looking through the for sale ads and hoping to find a good used boat. Everything seems so expensive.... I've seen 1978 boats for sale for $2k, or a 1992 boat with a trailer for $2500. These values seem extortionate.

Here's why I ask... I bought my first Laser in 1990 for $800. The 1978 boat was complete with trailer. The next boat was bought in 1992 for $800. This was a 1988 Canadian hull that was in awesome shape. All covers and both full and radial rigs.

I know that inflation is applicable, but jeez... its just a Laser.

By the way, I'm not complaining, just trying to understand. I currently have a 1997 hull that is fantastic, but I also bought it and the trailer for $250....

Jason

Demand is high...

We can also, thank e-Bay. I've heard that if you part out an old boat, you can get $1000 there.

Also, I think values are holding since it is Olympic class for men and women.

I think a strong class association is a big part of the reason too. That helps keep the demand high with lots of fleets, lots of racing etc.

I think a strong class association is a big part of the reason too. That helps keep the demand high with lots of fleets, lots of racing etc.

Yep. It's also really the only boat that is affordable, so there's alot of demand for them. I'm happy! This means I can sell my 08 boat at the end of this season, and get a new boat for only a small loss.

So, I'm going to cash out my 401k and buy a bunch of Lasers. Will I make money? No, but I may stop losing it as fast.

Thats right! My Searay lost 40% of its value last year, but my Laser almost doubled in value. But since my portfolio lost 60% and my income went down 40k I cant afford to buy a new one. So I will just get a new I-sail and keep running my old yellow Laser!

Maybe next year. The market here is starting to show some signs of recovery.

Barometer Soup
Park City Sailing Association

Back