Discussion in 'Laser Talk' started by dougreynolds10, Mar 2, 2008.
They are <f-bomb>ing close to water. It was funny in the 80s...
Whats with the new smilleys?
Yeah, I admit I contributed to this chaos. We've had our little frolic, now calm down, please, boys.
The poll is showing a wide spectrum of rigging speeds, probably reflecting not only the amount of time the sailor has to spend, his dexterity, and his organizational ability, but what he aims to get out of the event, as well.
Now, I can set my laser up pretty fast but I still will spend thirty minutes on the dock socializing. Whats the point of being the first one on the water when no one is is even out yet. Plus if you get done quick you can help other people.
Geez, Rob, I think you are going to be cringing in the morning.
Terrible, terrible stuff Rob. Come sail with me and I'll buy you a non-bud.
Back on topic.. Like I said, it takes me about an hour to rig.
OMG. I don't know what gets into me at times....
It happens to all of us. Me, for example. In fact, I started the morning with a thread about sex and racing, and some people saw it and a couple responded. I realized with one of the responses that I'd gone overboard and soft deleted it. When I read it again later, it seemed tasteless and not even funny, so it is gone forever. Sorry if I offended the few who saw it. Ai yi yi! TLF is a balancing act between the bounds of good taste, knowledge, and entertainment. Sometimes it's difficult to manage because I like to have fun (with words) too.
It's a different philosophy toward racing, clearly. If some new kid wants clarification on rigging they can ask all they like, but I don't wander round making sure everyone had a good sleep and aren't experiencing domestic issues. My mind is on getting set up and seeing how the conditions are on the water. I'm usually out on the water 45mins-1 hour before the start. After the race I may stay out if conditions are good, for a bit of a wind down. I don't ever drink beer or smoke after racing. Since lasering is all about the skipper's skill, I try not to disadvantage myself by filling me full of drugs straight after a workout. So no drugs before or after, no unnecessary distractions before or directly after. After race my mind is usually full of questions/ideas about whatever happened and how they either relate to the rules or highlight training points for the coming week/weeks. The fact is that there just isn't all that for me to say to other people about sailing where I wouldn't be repeating myself ad nauseum over the period of a season. 80% of sailing can be learned from scratch without any outside advice as long as you go out and do it. The other 20% will just speed up your learning.
Now you may be thinking, gosh, how isolating and boring. I choose to approach racing and training this way so that I'm focused on reaching the highest level of the sport my age and ability will sustain at any given time. (there must be other ways to do it and still be effective, but this is my way)
Chainsaw, I usually arrive early so I can visit with people. Also, since I'm fleet captain and Vice Commordore's wife, I'm usually helping someone out with something. Also, for every time that I race, I rig up the ole Laser two or three other days that week and go sailing for fun. If others are out we have a few practice races. I'm just definitely in fun mode when I do this. Rigging the boat then is like a meditation that I really enjoy. It's true on racing day, Sunday afternoon at our club, I'm more focused and less chatty. It still takes me 30 minutes or more from the time I get the boat out of its trailer until it's on the water, since I have to go slow and be careful to get it right. I believe that Gouvernail leaves his sail furled around the mast and has the boat right next to the water. That's not how I can leave my boat, since someone would likely take it out in my absence.
I was just looking at the sunfish forum for kicks and it is pathedic. I coudn't find a thread to put this on so I picked this one. The sunfish forum is pathedic they talk about the stupidest things check it out and you will see what I mean.
kind of like how we talk about the same stuff over and over and over? Also note that that forum has a lot less action going on over there.
I know a lot of the questions seem silly though
most of the ones here are too, or at leas there would be a lot less of them if people searched
Separate names with a comma.