Which upgrade is better?

Discussion in 'Laser Talk' started by planing away, Oct 6, 2002.

?

Which upgrade is better?

1. Keep the old vang, but add new deck cleats, cunny, and outhaul

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  2. Keep old outhaul (thimbled, 3:1), keep old cunny, buy new vang system

4 vote(s)
    7.4%
  3. Add some blocks to the old outhaul and cunny, and buy a new vang system

23 vote(s)
    42.6%
  4. Add blocks to the old vang and buy the new outhaul/cunny system with deck cleats

26 vote(s)
    48.1%
  1. kwilson

kwilson New Member

[quote:4de0edeb5c="Darryn"]Did the full upgrade on my boat last week and sailed 3 races on Saturday, two back to back in 25 knots with 4 ft swell. While I have no doubt I could have handled the conditions with the old setup the new controls, particularly the vang make it so easy.
    Tricks like bearing away at the top mark, flicking the cunningham and outhaul out of the camcleats and forgeting about them, couldn't do that with the old setup, the cunningham would recleat and if i hadn't remembered to drop the outhaul on the final tack before the mark I was stuck with whatever outhaul setting i had beat with.
    Adjusting the vang while going downwind isn't just possible now, its easy to dial up a great looking sail going downwind but, of course, your doing this at your own peril! I've ordered a spare boom and top section!
    So, my advice, do the whole upgrade now, you never will be able to sell the boat for a good price if it isn't modified so you might as well enjoy the goodies till new boat time.[/quote:4de0edeb5c]

Why a new boom and top section.??

2. Darryn

Darryn New Member

I'm using more vang, particulary reaching in low wave/high wind conditions. I'm preparing for when I do drag the boom I may bend it beyond use. The top section has always been in peril with my downwind technique!
    Also had two booms bend on Lasers (with upgrades) in last 3 club races so I think its wise to carry spares, if not for me, to help keep mates on the water.

3. Goonie

Goonie Guest

Man I would not be able afford to bend any booms or top sections or anything like that. I dont see how you take it lightly mate!

Seth

4. kwilson

kwilson New Member

This brings up a topic that was discussed on this forum. Should the World Council seriously consider allowing for upgrades to spars to compensate for the increased purchase that is available with the new systems. If not for anything but safety reasons besides the obvious performance increases. I know that the world council tested Carbon uppers for the Radial that allowed lower weight sailers to to effectively tune the rig without potentialy damaging it because of eccess force. They said that the spars would cost about twice as much but recieved such positive feedback from testers that they felt that they wouldn't have a problem on the sales front. Also they felt most people would pay for a spar that last twice as long as the standard.

I know I'd be interested.

5. macwas16

macwas16 New Member

ummm...k

ummmm...carbon. just like the big boys on the haruki gulf!

6. kwilson

kwilson New Member

According to the mailing list the Council just voted on weather to accept the use / manufacturing of the proposed masts.

Voted 56.5 or something which is not enough they need 66.6 to get the go ahead. However they agreed that it would be a good idea to allow testing to continue then revote at a later time.

7. macwas16

macwas16 New Member

ummm...k

what counsil is this? the ilca?

8. kwilson

kwilson New Member

Re: ummm...k

[quote:dab3a3bbbf="macwas16"]what counsil is this? the ilca?[/quote:dab3a3bbbf]

The World Counsil

http://www.drlaser.org/plfRULEvote.html

9. Goonie

Goonie Guest

I dont think you guys are spelling COUNCIL right. ;)

10. Darryn

Darryn New Member

"Man I would not be able afford to bend any booms or top sections or anything like that. I dont see how you take it lightly mate!

Seth"

In my experience the Laser is by far the cheapest sailboat that can be campaigned at a National Championship level. In other classes that I have competed in the cash burn has been at worst $7k/annum and more recently, on my cat, its down to $3k/annum but thats been mostly for materials as I build almost everything for my Cat. The Laser looks like levelling at $1.5k/annum and for that much I can walk into a shop, buy the bit and be sailing it 1 hour later. The only thing I've made so far for the Laser is a hiking wetsuit cause I couldn't find what I wanted.

So Seth, thats why I take it lightly, comparitively the boats a bargain.

11. macwas16

macwas16 New Member

ummm...k

but seth and i are only 14 and 15. :?

12. kwilson

kwilson New Member

[quote:f682a4fa1a="Goonie"]I dont think you guys are spelling COUNCIL right. ;)[/quote:f682a4fa1a]

Here is the new and improved spelling.

[b:f682a4fa1a]WISE-ASS[/b:f682a4fa1a]. :D :D :lol:

13. Goonie

Goonie Guest

hehe, ;)

Seth

14. macwas16

macwas16 New Member

ummm...k

[quote:2d880ef069]" Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals, I get my back into my living. I dont need to fight, to prove Im right. I dont need to be forgiven!"[/quote:2d880ef069]

sounds like a canadian grunt :D

15. kwilson

kwilson New Member

Re: ummm...k

Tis a great song.

16. Goonie

Goonie Guest

Yes IT IS!!! Im surprised MAC does not know it. K how old are you?

Seth

17. macwas16

macwas16 New Member

ummm...k

the Who was way past my generation.

18. Goonie

Goonie Guest

Past mine too, but they are still good!

Seth

19. kwilson

kwilson New Member

Re: Re: ummm...k

34 Married with two wonderfull children, son (6) and a daughter (3). Been sailing all of my life, mostly bigger boats, IMX offshore racers. Started with family and friends thought about doing it seriously when I was doing East Coast deliveries in highschool and college. My biggest mistake was not going to a college that had a sailing team.....at the time I didn't think I needed it. You know, the whole futures so bright I gotta where shades, attitude.

What about you...?? your pretty young right.? :)

20. will162878

will162878 New Member

Sail tuning wise, I find I don't adjust the outhaul as often as the other controls and adding blocks to the cunningham is a must. You only really need the kicker unit if you want to adjust the kicker lots which many people don't want anyway.