Which board should I use?

baseman

On the Water
First of all, I don't have a Sunfish, I have a Viking which is almost indentical.
The board on the left in the picture came with the Viking. The board on the right is a Phantom board.
The Phantom board is slightly longer and has more of a foil shape. I don't know if the Viking board is original. It has been repaired (one of the handles) so it may be. I have not sailed the boat yet, so I haven't tried either board.

Blades2.jpg

Try them both and see which works better. Will the Phantom board even fit in the Sunfish d/b trunk? It looks too wide.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

The Phantom board will fit the Viking. I plan on trying them both once the ice melts on the lake. I'm wondering if the larger Phantom board will give me less sideways drift, or just an increase in drag.

You can't tell from the picture (strange camera angle maybe), but the Phantom board isn't any wider than the Viking board and only 2 3/4 in. longer. Plus, the Phantom board has a retainer cord (not shown) so I can adjust the depth based on conditions. Pointing closer to the wind is a good thing and in a decent breeze should overcome any aditional drag.

You can't tell from the picture (strange camera angle maybe), but the Phantom board isn't any wider than the Viking board and only 2 3/4 in. longer. Plus, the Phantom board has a retainer cord (not shown) so I can adjust the depth based on conditions. Pointing closer to the wind is a good thing and in a decent breeze should overcome any aditional drag.

You can use a retaining strap on either, so that shouldn't be a deciding factor. As for drag, I wouldn't worry about it in he slightest, between the two sizes. Looking at the pictures, far and away the bigger factor on drag in a comparison of the two is the condition of the boards, especially the edges -- which on both look like they could use some work. They should be clean, smooth, and hard - not scraped off varnish or whatever. If we're going to be that fussy (and even the need for that is questionable) you want everything 'fair', as they say. Boat bottom also. Don't mean to sound preachy, but since you brought it up...

Anyway, I'm a fan of erring on the bigger side -- unless you're sailing where underwater hazards are an issue - then smaller and rounded gets the nod. A few caveats though:

--If you find yourself fighting the tiller to hold an upwind course, try switching boards and see if it feels more balanced (there are other things you can do to the rig, too, but we're just addressing board choice here). One may feel more balanced (less fighting the tiller) than the other, and more balanced is better, and,

--If there are logistical issues, for example if you are having trouble jibing, you might use the shorter board, especially while getting used to things.

--Back to the first if, you may have a board of choice for different conditions, for example as part of depowering in heavy air.

Minifish2 - Several good points. Thanks. I am going to refinish the Viking board and the Phantom board I plan to use is not the one in the picture. It's already been refinished. Underwater hazards are not an issue (I have a story about that, but I won't go into it here. It involves man made lakes and submerged stumps). I'll set both boards up the same way (add a retainer cord to the Viking board). The good thing - once the ice melts - I'm only two miles from a local lake. Not my favorite lake to sail on, but it will give me a chance to try different options.

Back