when do you know you're a Laser sailer

Bernard_Bill

You know you're a Laser sailor when you discover a strange urge to throw yourself to the other side on the car when turning a corner!

You know you're a Laser sailor when you feel a desperate need to reply first (or second) to every new thread on the Laser forum even when you have nothing constructive to add.

I think it's when you finally find out that going downwind when it's blowing 20+; you realize that it really isn't such a bad idea to take your life into your own hands.

You keep finding random cuts and bruises, and you can't remember when they happened.

people get bruised and cut up on lasers? maybe I've been doing it long enough so that it does'nt happen

What I mean is that if you have properly fitting hiking pants, and your pads are in the right place, you should not get bruises.

I don't think we are referring to bruises from normal hiking...more like the random cut on the shin that you don't notice until the water in the cockpit is pink, or the bruise on the forearm that makes people in the office wonder what you were doing over the weekend.

could be, but it was never specified lol

I just never seem to get hurt on my Laser, I know where to place myself so it's efficent for the boat and myself, and safe. And their really isn't much to get beat up on on a Laser

But on other boats I sail on, Mumm 30's and other keel boats, forget about it, I get my fair share of brusies and cuts

You know you're a Laser sailor when you will take a contrary opinion to any position stated on this forum just to prove that you're smarter than the other guy.

What I mean is that if you have properly fitting hiking pants, and your pads are in the right place, you should not get bruises.

I don't think we are referring to bruises from normal hiking...more like the random cut on the shin that you don't notice until the water in the cockpit is pink, or the bruise on the forearm that makes people in the office wonder what you were doing over the weekend.

Exactly. The spot where you mashed your toe, got rope burns on your fingers, rammed your shin into a trailer hitch, etc. etc. etc.

Not that I've ever done any of these things ;)

I find it hard to believe that there is anyone out there that has never lightly injured themselves at least a little bit while sailing, let alone at least a couple times every season.

Re: where to find the Advil if you're a Laser sailer

I find it hard to believe that there is anyone out there that has never lightly injured themselves at least a little bit while sailing, let alone at least a couple times every season.
Exactly - I have a nice black eye from looking up at just the wrong time in a wild jibe! Nearly broke my cheekbone. Probably won't do that again.

It must be nice to be that good....and to know you're that good....and to be able to tell everyone you're that good. You rock!

people get bruised and cut up on lasers? maybe I've been doing it long enough so that it does'nt happen

It's not the windy days when I get cuts and scrapes. It's on the light air days when I have to sit on top of cleats and contort my body at funny angles that my boat beats me up the most.

I knew a college girl once that did fordeck on a J-22. She was pretty hardcore and didn't let anything stop her, so she got her share of scrapes and bruises. She said one of her professors pulled her aside and asked if her boyfriend was beating her up.

From Ross's Blog:

"[A]s I was shortening up my downhaul with a fresh razer, I cut a honkin chunk out of the tip of my thumb, and it actually left a dent! It bleed like a sweaty pig in heat in July for 20 good minutes, and I actually felt fait and am still suprised I was able to walk myself back to my boat to lie down and drink some Gatoraid without passing out!"

Certainly sounds like a sailing related injury to me! It totally counts.

It must be nice to be that good....and to know you're that good....and to be able to tell everyone you're that good. You rock!

Funny thing about that is the fact that the people who feel like they have to tell you they're good usually aren't... Just putting that out there.

Funny thing about that is the fact that the people who feel like they have to tell you they're good usually aren't... Just putting that out there.

drudge%20siren.gif

DING! DING! DING! We have found a winner of the prize for the most obvious comment of the day!

You know you're a Laser sailor when you see the small craft warning and get an even stronger urge to go out sailing.

Back