What's the Maximum speed of a 'Fish

Discussion in 'Sunfish Talk' started by Fred P, Jun 21, 2004.

1. Fred P

Fred P Member

Has anyone ever measured or calculated the maximum speed of a Sunfish? I assume it can go faster than the theoretical hull speed while planing so it should be pretty fast and may depend on the wind speed. Anybody ever clocked a 'Fish at all?

Thanks,
    Fred P.

2. Alan Glos

Alan Glos Active Member

Good question. I am guessing that on a screaming plane down the face of large wave
    with a Great White shark in full pursuit, the Sunfish may hit 16 or 17 mph, but I have never clocked one. A good hand held GPS unit may provide the answer.

Alan Glos

3. Allan P

Allan P Old hand

I got up to something like 11.4 mph by GPS on a screeching reach, no big waves or sharks in sight. Dumped about a minute later. Water got in the GPS, so I wasn't able to get a maxumum speed out of it. Not saying its any kind of a record, but its about as fast as I ever went in a fish.

4. Reckless Rudy

Reckless Rudy New Member

I just got home from sailing in 15 mph winds on a small (1 mile diameter) lake and I have a SpeedMate installed on my fish. It recorded a max speed of 8.55 knots or 9.8 mph. I know I've sailed faster than that prior to installing the SpeedMate.

5. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Member

My 'Fish has clocked about 95 mph on the Interstate when I've been late for a regatta. Wind speed was about 20 knots and speed was verified by the State Trooper's radar.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Wayne

Wayne Member Emeritus

The really amazing thing wasn't the speed, it was that the boat could be pointed directly into the apparent wind. However, I'll bet your sail trim was lacking a bit

.... and the Class Measurer wants a talk with you about those outrigger training wheels.

• Like Like x 1
  7. kegan

kegan New Member

I'm really surprised about those speeds. I never thought that a Sunfish could exceed the hull speed by so much.

8. mike4947

mike4947 Member

Once you get the fish up on a plane doubling hull speed is possible.
    The first time you "pop" the hull up and start passing everything in sight is a real thrill.