What's the best way to store a sail?

Re: sail

Fastest and most practical for me: Roll the sail up to the spars and insert the rolled up sail and spar assembly into a "sailbag". The sail/spar bag helps to protect the sail from wind caused chafing.​
Best for a long haul transport: Remove the sail from the spars. Roll or fold the sail and transport in the car or truck. This will take time to remove and install, and in some cases, replace some of the sail clips.​
I read that some use a PVC tube with removeble end cap(s) and mount this tube to their trailer. The rolled up sail/spar assembly is then slid into the tube and protected from wind and probably water/road grunge on a rainy transit. The PVC is S&D (Sewer and Drain) PVC. Not sure of the size though. If 4", that stuff can be purchased through most home centers. If 6" or 8", purchase from a specialty plumbing supply retailer./​

Re: sail

I agree with Offramp that sailbag is easiest. I've covered a few thousand miles this way with little or no wear to my bag. Remember to roll the sail up to the spars rather than around the spars. Going around the spars wraps them around the gooseneck which gives you a good source of ware and dirt.

I don't think you should ever roll the sail up around the spars as well. I usually travel with the sail in the bag. I then use half strips of duct tape every few feet around the sail bag itself to snug thing up. It prevents the bag from flapping in the breeze.

My sail bag is probably over 20 years old and is still in pretty good shape. It is always stored indoors unless I am on my way to or from a regatta. Then it is only outside for a few days.

Mike Fortner
Rochester Canoe Club

PS...The Powers Family has updated our website. Check out the changes at www.rochestercc.org.

Back