What's in the mast?

Discussion in 'Sunfish Talk' started by fullkeels, Feb 14, 2008.

1. jsdeimel

jsdeimel Member

"I happen to have some unopened 2000E thats only about 16 months old which should be enough for the job."
    Thats the best reason I've ever heard for using the stuff. I thought that reason was going to be more along the lines of "I read about it in Practical Sailor" I really hate that rag.

2. fullkeels

fullkeels New Member

Kevin that is great advice! I happen to play some r-ball from time to time and always have several extra balls. I'm wondering if the smaller squash ball would do a similar job in the smaller booms. I've enjoyed reading about Jeff Linton and his races against Eduardo Cordero among others.

Jsdeimel, sorry about your Practical Sailor gripes. I haven't picked up a copy in years, but I usually enjoy them. Same goes for Mad magazine and Playboy, but I try not to let those mags dictate my life either.

One of the reasons for my undertaking this sunfish restoration is because I have lots of good-quality leftover stuff from restorations on other vessels. I do, however, have quite a bit of faith in 2000E from experience, but like I posted earlier, I'm sure there are other options. It seems in the last five years the retail price of marine coatings, sealers and some epoxies have ballooned, especially antifouling at least in the NY Metro area. This morning I read an archive post from 2004 on this forum about a guy who barrier-coated then awlgripped his fish. The photo results were absolutely phenomenal. Awlgrip is very very expensive and requires good spray equipment with all the safety gear. Mind you we are talking about older fish which require recoating. I'm gonna wing it with that Lubribond I mentioned earlier. Rustoleum aint so bad either.

3. imported_4sail

imported_4sail New Member

There is foam now! I purchased two Sunfish and both had been sailed in salt water and the masts had a number of pinholes because of corrosion. I drilled the pinholes out and used Home Depot Great Stuff foam sealant in the holes. I also drilled out the end cap before foaming them. One can was enough for each mast. After the foam expanded and set I used aluminum rivets to close the holes and secure the end cap. Yes, there could be some issues with strength but there weren't many holes and it the good part is that they float.

4. DanB

DanB Crabber

Did you rinse out the salt and dry the inside before foaming? Once corrosion appears the life of the tube is usually short no matter what’s done. Staying within paddling distance of shore may be a good rule to follow.

5. imported_4sail

imported_4sail New Member

I rinsed the mast tube thoroughly and let it dry before foaming it. If and when it breaks I will order a new one. Thanks for the advise I will keep it in mind.