What type of hiking style?

Discussion in 'Laser Talk' started by Tom, Aug 17, 2004.

?

What hiking style?

1. Straight legged

43 vote(s)
    48.9%
  2. Bent legged

17 vote(s)
    19.3%
  3. I dont hike (LOL)

2 vote(s)
    2.3%
  4. Both

26 vote(s)
    29.5%
  1. sailordude

sailordude New Member

wow thats kind of a stupid question! straight legged is way better because first of all if your legs are bent im in the water. you should be adjusting the main so your boat is flat. and its just better when your legs are straight because your out farther so its like being bigger!

2. Murphs

Murphs New Member

but not everyone can hold their legs straight for 20 mins at a time gavin.

and by bent legged, it doesnt mean a huge bend in the knees just so you can see daylight between the deck and the underside of the knee.

so its not really a stupid question, you just mis-understood it

3. 49208

49208 Tentmaker

You must not be aware that Ben Ainsle didn't use the straight leg style in the Laser (check out his book since you are looking for something to read). I don't think he felt he was disadvantaged against the straight leggers like Blackburn.

You gotta go with what works for you. For some people it's straight legged, others bent. Some hike off their toes with a tight strap (the new definition of straight legged hiking), while others go off their instep with a looser strap (the bent leg style)

4. sailordude

sailordude New Member

yeah but when you go off your toes you get out farther so it stays flatter in higher winds and you dont have to be ajusting your main as much. your right though its what ever works for you.

5. keiran searle AUS

keiran searle AUS New Member

i hike with my strap very tight i am going to loosen it this weekend & try it loose for this weeks race i am also short 154 CM so i need to hike harder & i can not go up to radial from 4.7 because i can not get enough leverage to keep the boat flat even though i am 65 KG. i was thinking about puting a ajustable system on my strap but that would be a nother thing to ajust @ the top mark lol :)

6. jsharp

jsharp New Member

I'm 160-175lbs depending on the day, 6' even. I tend to like the strap fairly tight, and go straight leg, but not so much just getting out as far as you can. I've found that the pressure you apply to the deck is more important than the distance you are out. Being half an inch farther in and being able to put more force into the strap helps my speed up wind in breeze more than about 18kts. You are more tied into the boat this way and can deal with swells and chop much better, and I feel that if anything I am able to keep the boat more flat than if I were just all the way out on the tips of my toes with a straight back, its mostly just retaining the ability to move and adjust to each puff and wave.

7. Tamarisk

Tamarisk New Member

Can someone post diagrams of bent-legged and straight-legged hiking?

8. Murphs

Murphs New Member

9. David

David New Member

Oooh thats Murphs, that article is great :)

10. Schmidty_AUS

Schmidty_AUS New Member

you are a fool for hiking with a tight toe strap. what you need to do is have it adjustable so that upwind you have the looset setting you can (which is equal pressure on both your calves and hamstrings) and then when you round the top mark you can pull it to its tighest setting (barely moveable) so that it braces your body in the boat. Hiking with a too tight toestrap makes life significantly harder, especially for a short person. Im only 183 and it works well.

11. Alloy

Alloy New Member

hang on schmidty i have it the other way around tight upwind, loose downwind so that if i capsize then my legs dont get caught when i try to go over the side. and i find it a lot easier to hike on the upwind with a tight strap i find the pressure more even. ohh well does anyone else have that problem when capsizing?

asho

12. HECS

HECS New Member

"you are a fool for hiking with a tight toe strap."

Wow, that's a bit of an arrogant call from a guy who gets silver fleet in the nationals, isn't it?

13. keiran searle AUS

14. pyrique

pyrique New Member

should hike straight legs. read in quite a lot of articles that hiking with bent legs damage your knees because of the unequal distribution of weight as compared to hiking with straight legs.

15. seamonkey

seamonkey New Member

.......hmmmmm--try 6'3",,,205 lbs--they call it fatn'happy--once you've got the sailing skills the only time it really hurts is in marginal planing conditions.

16. AshScache

AshScache New Member

On my lightning, i generally droop-- on my laser, since the water is a lot closer, i straight leg, but i usually weigh enough to just sit on the 'high' side of the boat and lean my weight forward. For the same reason, i like a very tight strap on a laser, and a very very loose strap on my lightning.

17. Merrily

Merrily Administrator Staff Member

Keiran,
    That was a good article. Are there any more that you are allowed to share? I tried navigating the website myself and couldn't find anything.

Merrily

18. keiran searle AUS

19. Merrily

Merrily Administrator Staff Member

OK, this feels like a dumb question, but I've mostly sailed my Laser alone, so here goes. How DO you adjust the strap so you can easily tighten it and loosen it like that?

Merrily

20. Markus

Markus New Member

This pctiure shows how to rig the toestrap for easy adjustments. I took it from www.roostersailing.com where almost every question will find its answer. How to loosen or to tighten the toestrap should be selfexplaining...

Unfortunately the picture was slidely to big for uploading, but you will find it at the Hints and Tips area too.