What type of hiking style?

Discussion in 'Laser Talk' started by Tom, Aug 17, 2004.

?

What hiking style?

1. Straight legged

43 vote(s)
    48.9%
  2. Bent legged

17 vote(s)
    19.3%
  3. I dont hike (LOL)

2 vote(s)
    2.3%
  4. Both

26 vote(s)
    29.5%
  1. Tom

Tom New Member

Check the poll and vote plz

2. ben661

ben661 New Member

i only hike straight legged because I would drag through the water with bent legging. It also feels the most comfortable for me. Also if you hike with straight legs and you start to get tired you always have the option of relaxing your legs slightly which I don't find you can do with bent legging

3. JacksonAUS

JacksonAUS New Member

Haha, who doesn't hike?

4. yachtie2k4

yachtie2k4 New Member

people who sail in light wind areas dont hike jackson, mmm, but, i cant recall the last time it was light enough not to hike

5. JacksonAUS

JacksonAUS New Member

Yeah, obviously... but I don't think many people would classify themselves as 'non-hikers' The last time that I couldn't hike was at Albert Park Lake a couple of weeks ago, now when people walking along the footpaths are moving faster than you i think they should cancel a race.

6. Teeftie

Teeftie New Member

but then you get a slight breeze, start hiking then it dies automatically and it pisses you off even more cause now your soaked and not moving :)

7. Steven

Steven New Member

or worse yet, capsizing to windward when the wind suddenly dies when hiking out hard

8. yachtie2k4

yachtie2k4 New Member

Mmm, but you were still hiking, the way I take that question is whether people hike, straight or bent legged, or they don't, ie cant be bothered to hike so just sit on the side of the boat. thats just my take on the question, & i think it is jackson's take on the question as well. Ohh & jackson, sailing on albert park, with light shifty (should be s*****) winds has got to be one of the hardest places to sail, mm, can remember sailin up there in da sabot, what a pain in the arse place to sail durin the winter, either little wind or shit loads of wind. I know a few of my mates who have cartwheeled their sabots on albert park LOL.

9. SteveV

SteveV New Member

don't you think the vote for no-hiking was maybe a joke ?? seems your taking it all a bit seriously.

10. JacksonAUS

JacksonAUS New Member

Yeah, no doubt it's a joke, that's why I said haha.

11. yachtie2k4

yachtie2k4 New Member

ha ha ha, i was bullshittin as well, i was just seein what someone would say ha ha ha, gotcha all ohh man, u think im serious, jeesus, never take me seriously, ha ha ha ha : :p but some of the stuff i said was true, mm, can remember albert park, what a shit place to sail! never gonna go back there!

12. yachtie2k4

yachtie2k4 New Member

hey jack, did u vote that you dont hike?

13. yachtie2k4

yachtie2k4 New Member

why cant i undo my vote & vote somewhere else?

14. JacksonAUS

JacksonAUS New Member

I can't remember what I voted for now. I hike straight legged, but I do get tired on long windward legs and sometimes resort to a bit of bum hanging. Speaking of hiking, has anybody seen any of the old Star Class styles? This is pretty funny.. http://www.starclass.org/history/images/vonhutschler-hike.jpg

15. Alloy

Alloy New Member

news flash jackson they still hike like that. (no offence ment)

asho

16. yachtie2k4

yachtie2k4 New Member

jackson,
    they still do it like that in ynglings, stars & etchells.

17. JacksonAUS

JacksonAUS New Member

Crewmembers still hang from the side of the boat with one arm while the skipper has his spare arm wrapped around the crews waist? I would have thought that with the introduction of hiking harnesses in the Star class, this old technique would no longer be necessary.

18. yachtie2k4

yachtie2k4 New Member

mm, they "hike" bent legged, mmm, with their arses against the side of the boat, etchells don't use anything to hike out on though, well, no toe straps/harnesses.

19. GeoffS

GeoffS Member

Not so much... but honestly, it's a bit difficult to pick out that level of detail from the photo...

Quite correct, but from a distance it looks pretty much the same as in the 40's... Still hard on the knees, too...
    FWIW, crewing on a Star is the only sailing situation where I've been too light...

Geoff Sobering
    DN US-5156/Laser 145234/Renegade 510
    Crew, Star 6700 - '90-'95 (two green chevrons!)

20. Alloy

Alloy New Member

i am an etchell sailor and if your the crew then you just wrap your legs around the jib or main sheet. while the skipper leans out on the tiller becuase if the skipper needs to hike then there is enough wether helm to keep him out.

heheheh