What on earth is the "OEM hook, a bullseye with a cam cleat, a ratchet block"?

DanielF

Hey all, I'm about to pay for my $250 Sunfish w/ new style rudder, daggerboard and nearly everything in fantastic condition, but I need to know one thing. The guide on purchasing used Sunfishes (should we call them Sunfii?) states the following:

"Look at the bridle. (Wire or rope attached to 2 eyes on the aft deck, also check for mainsheet hardware i.e. Only the OEM hook, a bullseye with a cam cleat, a ratchet block. You may need to upgrade these. They are not deal breakers but having only the hook will lower the price."

I know what the bridle is. But what on earth is the other thing, where is it located and what does it look like? A photo would be great. What does having one mean vs. not having one? The boat, as I said, is in relatively great shape, light in weight and complete with pristine sail and all hardware. I know it is complete because the person I'm buying it from used it up until now and can get it ready for sailing in five minutes time.But I don't know what this cleat or ratchet block thing is, what would be in its place if it isn't present and whether or not I should try to lower the price a bit if it is indeed missing.

For the moment I'm simply concerned with getting started in sailing on some of the many local lakes around here; fancy hardware, repair, refurbishment, restoration, etc. all come later, likely beginning of next season.

Thanks!
Daniel

The OEM hook was the standard equipment on the Sunfish. It is a "hook' located on the center at the front of the cockpit. When sailing, the mainsheet was passed under the hook to relieve pressure on your arms from holding the sail in. A 'bullseye with a cam cleat" may have been mounted at the top front center of the cockpit and the mainsheet would pass through the 'bulleye' and cleated (which many people suggest not to do). The standard now seems to have a "rachet block', which is a block (pully) located on the front lip of the cockpit which the mainsheet passes through. The pullly only turns in one direction, so it provideds friction to the mainsheet as you let the mainsheet out. All 3 are intended to take strain off your arms. The hook, being on the inside of the cockpit wall can be a pain when and if you hit your leg on it. At $250, if in the conditiion you state, not having the rachet block would not be a deal breaker for the boat. Been a while since I bought my rachet block, but maybe $30-$40 range, and install it yourself.

daniel, here are some pictures to give you an idea:
1st - my old setup, the good ol' hook at the cockpit lip, and then a swiveling fairlead with a cleat.
mainsheet-control.jpg

my current setup is below - a Harken H150 cam cleat mounted on the cockpit lip (only to cleat the mainsheet in really light winds), and a Harken 2135 carbo ratchet block.

img0187_070.jpg

I don't know how to make the pictures smaller... hope they don't end up huge on the screen.

thad

Back