Weighted Centerboard?

Discussion in 'Capri/Catalina 14 Talk' started by c14_Scott, Jan 1, 2009.

1. bananabobs

bananabobs New Member

This seems the best to me as well, the other option reminds me of my buddy in Kentucky, he bought a Toyota pick up and the ride was too harsh for him so he 1/2 filled the bed with sand bags.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Solarfry

Solarfry Member

30 yr old steel Weighted centerboard rebuild

Click on link and halfway you will see several picks of a 30 to 40 yr old steel centerboard covered with wood and fglass rebuild.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25826781@N07/sets/72157604736968896/show/

Fiberglass encapsulated swinging keels (centerboards) have bee around for over 40 yrs.

HOpe to have added value..

3. JGM

JGM Member

Hey Joe,
    Is this the centerboard you want us to make? I found this picture on your flickr site. This is confusing. Are you arguing for or against steel/wood laminated centerboards? ;)

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Solarfry

Solarfry Member

2016 Update on the Weighted centerboard.
    The boat has been in water since '09 and there are no delamination or other issues with centerboard. There are a few barnacles on boat and cb.

I am moving to a Catalina 16.5K or C. Which means I will have to do another weighted centerboard if I do not get the keel. The 14.6 has become too small for 5 passengers. I will use copper core this time to prevent rust. You cannot cover Stainless unless you want it to weep and rust.

• Like Like x 1