Was the sailcloth actually rejected by the Victoria's Secret supplier because it was

Discussion in 'Laser Class Politics' started by gouvernail, Oct 15, 2007.

1. gouvernail

gouvernail Active Member

Re: Was the sailcloth actually rejected by the Victoria's Secret supplier because it

Did you mean years??

2. 49208

49208 Tentmaker

Re: Was the sailcloth actually rejected by the Victoria's Secret supplier because it

Well HECS is going to love this post..

Look at attached pic - see anything odd..

Now granted, it was a shifty day, but it just shows the importance of getting your head out of the boat and perhaps shows that the sail isn't as important as our egos would like to think it is...

Conditions were 12-20, puffy. His sail held together for all 3 hours of sailing..

Attached Files:

3. sailchris

sailchris Member

I see a boat with an old sail about to get lapped by the rest of the fleet, or a guy that banged the corner and got lucky.

4. Merrily

Merrily Administrator Staff Member

Old sail is a huge understatement. There's sailcloth missing at the top of the sail. You can see sky through it.

5. 49208

49208 Tentmaker

First leg, he played the shifts better then the group behind him..
    Yes, there were 7 boats ahead of him..

6. gouvernail

gouvernail Active Member

The most disgusting sail in that photo might be 189786.

Look at the huge troughs radiating out of the clew... NOT FROM THE MAST JOINT AS SOME SPIN SPOKESMEN HAVE ATTEMPTED TO SELL US AS THE CAUSE>>>

The sail is not even two years old and it has stretched as few sails on other boats ever stretch EVER!!!

The cloth used for laser sails is so totally inadequate for teh application, we have grown to accept huge ugly clew stretcxh troughs as normal.

Repeat: No other Olympic class has to put up with using underbuilt flimsy sails with huge huge stretch wrinkles.

The only other class where you can find huge stretch marks in sails and find those sails at the front of the fleet is the Sunfish.

Who builds Sunfish??

7. sailchris

sailchris Member

More ugly sails...this time from the Cressy:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The second one is particularly worrying because the sail has what appear to be permanent stretch marks.

8. almineev

almineev New Member

I saw these sails in Seattle, I practiced that weekend near the race course. Funny thing, I did not take my glasses, so from distance the crowd looked like a bunch of oldish lasers playing practice races. Sails did not have full numbers and did not look new to me, so I assumed these were colledge kids or something practicing and I tried to mix in for a race. Well, I was almost shot and then explained this was school national champ and I, with my crispy intensity sail and old ass, was not allowed to sail anywhere within 10 miles from the race course...
    Wind never got above 15mph that weekend. It was about 20mph on Friday though, but what the heck anyways? I do not think the sails are stretched, I think it's the way they come out of the box brand new

9. gouvernail

gouvernail Active Member

Let me be the first to say...

The huge vertical wrinkles between the battens are caused by the joint between the lower and top sections.

Somebody needs to find Lowell North and show him what is being sold under his name....except they are just sails built by North For the Laser builders...

What if the logos in this picture..
    [​IMG]

looked like this??
    [​IMG]

10. SFBayLaser

SFBayLaser Member

No, those wrinkles are caused by the battens being inserted backwards.

;)

11. gouvernail

gouvernail Active Member

Sideways?

12. fracisco

fracisco New Member

Upside down.

13. Merrily

Merrily Administrator Staff Member

No, no, no. You've got it all wrong. The battens are inside out.

14. 49208

49208 Tentmaker

Those look like the new inflatable battens that have been under development for a few years. It's critical to get the proper PSI, in these sails it clear they were over inflated..

15. dougreynolds10

dougreynolds10 Member

i think its terrible that the class produced inflatable battens rather then a new sail

16. gouvernail

gouvernail Active Member

It was a natural progression.

Inflated egos and ....

17. Ross B

Ross B Guest

I'm unclear on something here, the sails that were used for the 2007 Olympic Laser, and Radial Trials, were used for events before the Trials? They were not brand spankin new at the time of Trials?

18. 663

663 Member

Brand new for the Trials.

19. Ross B

Ross B Guest

ahhh ok

then it is rather interesting how terrible they looked in the pictures. I have seen pictures of sails in conditions very similar, and they looks much better. From the pictures that I have seen, the quality of the sails is unacceptable, and we should be able to do better, but as I was not there, I can't really say

20. dougreynolds10

dougreynolds10 Member

welcome back ross