Wanted: Whisker pole

Discussion in 'Capri/Catalina 14 Classified Ads' started by Cousin01, Aug 1, 2005.

1. Cousin01

Cousin01 New Member

I'm looking for a whisker pole for a 14.2 - I have one with a latching end fitting at one end and a pin at the other - I want one with latch end at both ends in the class official length, which I think is 7'8".

2. rjsailnsd

rjsailnsd Member

Why not replace the pin end with a jaw (latch) end on the pole you own?

3. Cousin01

Cousin01 New Member

That's a good idea. The pole is adjustable. Is that class legal?

4. rjsailnsd

rjsailnsd Member

The pole length should be fixed. You could use a set screw to fix the length. I want to say the pole should be 7'8" measured mid jaw to mid jaw. I'll see if I can confirm the length.

5. Ferring

Ferring New Member

New Whiskers

Having dumped a couple whiskers in the drink, I can tell you that Catalina sells a class-legal pole for about $80 or you can build one out of parts for about the same price. West Marine sells the ends: part number 111757. After scrounging salvage places I ended up paying $30+ for the aluminum tubing at a place that specializes in metal bits. The only benefit of making my own (besides the joy of figuring it out) was that I squirted foam in the ends and epoxied the fittings to improve my chances of finding the pole floating next time.