wanted Tohatsu 3.5 hp 2 stroke outboard engine

Discussion in 'Equipment For Sale' started by wsherden, Jan 2, 2014.

1. wsherden

wsherden New Member

I am looking for a Tohatsa 3.5 outboard engine that is two stroke with 20 inch shaft in good working condition.

2. b-taylor

b-taylor Member

Where are you located? We have one in the Seattle area.

3. wsherden

wsherden New Member

I am in Boston. Is this a 20 inch shaft? I presume the weight is about 28 pounds.

4. b-taylor

b-taylor Member

It is the long shaft - which I believe is 20 inches. My manual has the weight at 13.5 kg for the long shaft which calculates at 29.75 lbs.

5. b-taylor

b-taylor Member

Not sure how we are going to get it to Boston though :)

6. wsherden

wsherden New Member

This is what I am looking for. What is the price. I believe it can be shipped UPS or some other carrier.

7. b-taylor

b-taylor Member

Not exactly sure. I'll have to check with the boat co-owner. But I am thinking that we would need to net $400.00 to be able to afford a replacement. And I have no idea how much it would cost to ship.

8. wsherden

wsherden New Member

How old is the motor and is it in reasonably good working condition?

9. b-taylor

b-taylor Member

We have had the motor for about 5 years, but we bought it used from a dealer/repair shop, so I am not sure how old it is. It has "2.5 hp" on the cowling, but the only difference between the 2.5 and 3.5 is the carburetor, and the repair shop had converted it the 3.5 hp carburetor. It pushes our 24' (J24) sailboat at 5 knots, so it has plenty of power. It is on very good working condition. It likes to have the spark plug and carburetor cleaned every once in a while,and be sure to flush it if you run it in salt water. But it starts quick and runs well.

The only reason we are selling it is to get a 4 stroke with a neutral gear. Otherwise we would keep it.

10. wsherden

wsherden New Member

This sounds like the engine I am looking for. I think the shipping cost at UPS should be under $100. I would be glad to pay the $400 for the engine and any shipping costs in the $100 range. What do we need to do next?

11. b-taylor

b-taylor Member

Before we get too far into it I need to confirm this with the other half of the boat ownership (both the idea of selling it and the price). If that is a go, then you can research the best way to ship it and the cost. And we can switch to email to figure out the details.

12. b-taylor

b-taylor Member