WANTED: Laser Parts

Discussion in 'Laser Wanted Ads' started by jmh226, Dec 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmh226

jmh226 New Member

Hi, I'm completely new to Laser sailing, but just picked up a hull at a good price and want to get into it. I currently have the hull only and am therefore looking for everything else that I need (daggerboard, rudder assembly, spars, sail). After doing some research, I think that I want to set the boat up with a radial rig. At this point I'm basically just looking to sail recreationally so I don't necessarily need super high performance gear, or even anything race legal, but I also don't want old beat up junk. If you think you've got parts for me reply here or e-mail me at jmh226[at]gmail.com Thanks!

2. Wavedancer

Wavedancer Upside down? Staff Member

Please be aware that this approach may end up being pretty expensive and time consuming :eek:. I wish you luck though....

3. jmh226

jmh226 New Member

Wavedancer...so what would you propose I do? Just look for a complete boat and buy that instead? How much do used parts generally go for? I mean I think I only need spars, a daggerboard, a rudder assumbly and a sail right? or am I missing something here?

4. Wavedancer

Wavedancer Upside down? Staff Member

I suggest that you start making a list (it's the season for that :)) of all the parts you need and get list prices. Some parts are not readily available used and others you may be able to get, say at 50% of new (you can put in your own number if you think 50% is too high). Add up the numbers and see what total expense you might be facing. Then ask yourself whether that amount is acceptable to you. Also when you want to go sailing. If you wait long enough you might be able to get most parts used, but another year may have gone by :eek:!
    Your location is also relevant. Used parts should be more readily available, if you live in an area with active fleets.

PS: You need more than the parts that you listed. Among others, tiller, tiller extension, vang, lines....

PS#2: You can start a thread in the Discussion section of this forum and get input from others.

5. stunistu

stunistu Member

I have an original wood centerboard that is in mint condition for $100.
    I have a tiller made of oak with an aluminum extension for $50.
    I have a full size sail (red gromets) that needs the tab at the top replaced and two batten pockets repaired for $40 with no battens.
    I have original vangs for $20.
    All prices plus shipping
    Stu Nickerson

6. jmh226

jmh226 New Member

How much for the daggerboard, tiller/extension, and vangs shipped?

7. stunistu

stunistu Member

I would say $30 to ship all the parts to Florida.
    Stu Nickerson

8. lasersailor184544

lasersailor184544 Member

I have a radial sail that is in excellent practice shape that I could sell for $200 or best

9. jmh226

jmh226 New Member

Stu,
    I actually just ended up buying a used 1995 Laser...it was cheaper than trying to piece together all of the parts for my older hull. The only thing that I need for this new boat is the vangs. Shoot me an e-mail (jmh226[at]gmail.com) or call me (305) 245-2079 so that I can buy yours if you still have them availible.

~Jesse

10. jmh226

jmh226 New Member

One other part I'm looking for, the traveling blocks. If anyone's got any let me know, otherwise I'll just buy them new.

11. jmh226

jmh226 New Member

Stu,
    Really need those vangs...I'm dying to get the new boat in the water this Saturday! Get ahold of me via contact info in above post!

~Jesse

12. Ross B

Ross B Guest

That stuff is way over priced, adding a lot of sentimental value there!

A word board is worth at MOST $50
    wood tiller with extension $25
    shot sail with repairs $35
    Original Vang $15-20 depending on condition

but that's just my opinion..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.