Wanted Kick-up Rudder

Discussion in 'Capri/Catalina 14 Classified Ads' started by Matt Kirksey, Jul 13, 2009.

1. Matt Kirksey

Matt Kirksey New Member

I need a kick up rudder for a Carpi 14.2

Attached Files:

2. EGarcia

EGarcia New Member

I have been looking as well. Hope you did not have the same experience I had. Perhaps the readers will learn from at least my mistake and double check to make sure the rudder locks in.

Do you happen to have the dimensions of the rudder? I am considering modifiying one it the dimensions are close enough.

3. clo126

clo126 New Member

Parts

Check with Catalina. The cost to purchase might off set the time spent trying to fabricate something.

4. rchick

rchick New Member

I also need one. Catalina quoted me $302.00. I am thinking of making a new one out of mahogany.

5. clo126

clo126 New Member

Rudder

If you have the rudder pintle assembly you can definitely make one. My choice would be to use a hard wood for strength and durability. You can use Ash and paint with a polyurethane bottom coat paint. I've made parts out of Ash, which is used for bats, oars & hockey sticks. It's strong and finishes well. Mahogany is good, and it's great for boat parts due to it's resistance to rot. It can be expensive and if using for a kick up rudder it might get beat up a bit.

clo

6. rchick

rchick New Member

Thanks, I had not thought of ash. Any Idea where I could get mahogany or ash. I would need a piece around 40" x 10". I looked at Lowes, but the best they have is oak

7. clo126

clo126 New Member

8. RumRunner

RumRunner New Member

rudder

I have 4 or 5 rudders in the corner of my shop from past boats. I think one is from a capri. If you know the measurements I will be glad to confirm
    Windjunkie

9. Monomania

Monomania New Member

I have a kick up rudder

Matt, I have an extra used kick up rudder. I am also looking for some good used sails for my capri.

The Rudder is SOLD
    I am still looking for sails for my boat. Thanks

10. Monomania

Monomania New Member

My used rudder

I have the full assembly. Comes with tiller, and it locks.

SOLD

11. EGarcia

EGarcia New Member

I want to respect Matt's thread and request. If Matt does not respond, I would be interested in purchasing any parts... I need the full kick up rudder, tiller and hiking stick. Please call 512.826.6845

12. rchick

rchick New Member

Yea, me three, I'll take a rudder if one is available,

13. EGarcia

EGarcia New Member

Kick Up Rudder Dimensions
    Top to bottom 40" ... widest part is 10". Lower pintel is up 26 1/4" from the bottom of the rudder and the second pintel is another 7 1/2" up from that.

The above dimensions were sent to me. My rudder is still under 80 feet of water

Ed

14. Monomania

Monomania New Member

Rudder Dimensions

The rudder is 38" from top to bottom.
    Widest part is 10". Lower pintel is up 26 1/4" from the bottom of the rudder and the second pintel is another 7 1/2" up from that.
    The rudder has a small 1 1/2 scratch in it, not deep at all.
    It has the hiking stick.
    I will try to post a picture tomorrow.

SOLD

15. Matt Kirksey

Matt Kirksey New Member

I want the rudder

I tried to send a private message to you through the forum. Apparently it didn't come through. I am interested in the rudder blade only, however if need be I will purchase the entire assembly. I would then be willing to sell the tiller head and handle together with a full scale tracing of the rudder blade so that EGarcia could create his own rudder.

16. EGarcia

EGarcia New Member

I would like to hear from WindJunkie who posted he has a few rudders laying in his shop. I would rather not make a rudder if I can get one for a reasonable price. I also found another contact who I waiting to hear from

Ed

17. Monomania

Monomania New Member

Rudder from Monomania

I want to sell the whole tiller and rudder together. I need the bucks to buy new sails for my boat. I was going to sell it for $150.00 plus shipping. I have no idea what it is to ship. If you and Ed want to work something out. I will ship the pieces to two different places making it more cost effective for you both. Ed has my email if you two can work something out.

SOLD

18. Matt Kirksey

Matt Kirksey New Member

Please contact me

Monomania - please contact me - work number: 800 611-8292 - Matt Kirksey

19. Matt Kirksey

Matt Kirksey New Member

Ed Gracia contact me

Ed - Contact me through the forum or at my work number 800 611-8292

20. Monomania

Monomania New Member

Sold--Rudder to Matt

Nice talking to you Matt. The whole rudder system is yours. If Ed contacts you before I ship it, we can work on sending part of it to him.