Traveller Cam Cleat / Hikingstrap Shockcord

Discussion in 'Laser Talk' started by LooserLu, Oct 26, 2009.

1. Kratos

Kratos Member

Have some dignity, man!

There is much more I wish to say, but I'll leave it at that.

2. Merrily

Merrily Administrator Staff Member

Ah, this explains a lot. I think you are confusing hubris with dignity. Bungo Pete's post clarifies his position and is the epitome of dignity and humility. Kudos to him.

Note to all, without facial expression and tone of voice, sometimes the jokes are difficult to recognize. Use of the smilies helps.

3. Kratos

Kratos Member

Though that would also fit, I meant what I said when dignity is defined as poise/self respect, etc along those lines.

Just the way he said: "Again I am sorry for this and it will not happen again."

I'm not sure if English is a second second language to him, but if it isn't, I'd find it very awkward and uncomfortable for someone to apologize for something so simple and harmless in such a manner.

It is very easy to pick up someone's character traits, simply from observing posting. (Doesn't that sound familiar) I'm not talking about blatant jokes (intended to be), but more so things like arrogance and a sense of "I know it all, do not question me". (Pot, meet kettle) Things like that rarely, if ever get apologized for, unless the person is acting in such a way on purpose. Again, this is usually not the case, and said person sees nothing wrong with their actions.

The internet me that got banned a couple weeks ago says: "Lol at teh srs post", but that was the actual me haha.

Anyway, I don't wish to go into specifics. I've thought about sending a PM off, but I'm not into doing that kind of stuff. It's only the internet, after all.

4. sailingmania

sailingmania New Member

Its not that hard is it guyz! Think about it! Remove you toe strap elastic!!! I dont have any elastic and absulutely no problem at all! And the traveller can be adjusted easily! Common sence!!!

5. Merrily

Merrily Administrator Staff Member

You've said this before, and I think that you are missing something. This is a sailing community. We don't just share tips and yammer at each other on the net. We eventually meet each other on the water, and on the water we share a Corinthian sport with the highest standards in ethics and sportsmanship. At The Laser Forum we expect those standards.

6. Kratos

Kratos Member

In the post above, I meant that in reference to myself.

7. oztayls

oztayls Member

Hi, I just read this post with interest. I am a newbie to Lasers and in the process of setting up my boat. Naturally, I want my boat to comply with the Rules.
    I need some clarification on this one please:
    I refer to item 6 on this page: http://www.laserinternational.org/info/hullcompliance which says:

6. Hiking strap shock cord tied to traveller rope [No] 17d

I don't see a lot of difference between the first two setups below as in both instances, the shock cord is tied to the traveler rope, yet the first seems to comply but the second doesn't? The way I interpret this ruling is that the first two pics below are illegal, but the 3rd pic is legal. However, I've seen a number of boats with the shock cord set up as in the first pic below. Clearly it is tied to the traveller rope because if you removed the rope, it won't be attached the the cleat. In pic 3, if you removed the traveler rope, the shock cord would still be attached to the cleat.

Or am I missing something in the interpretation?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (Pic courtesy of APS http://apsltd.smugmug.com)

8. 49208

49208 Tentmaker

The pertinent class rule is 17d which says:
    A shock cord may be attached between the aft end of the hiking strap and to either the traveller cleat, or the hiking strap eye straps at the aft end of the cockpit

Pics 1 & 3 are the same as far as how the shockcord is led... At no point is the shockcord tied to the trav., it's simply looped around the trav cleat. The trav line, in it's normal position, keeps the shockcord trapped (attached) around the cleat. Since they are the same, both are also legal.
    Pic 2 is not legal as the shockcord is tied to the trav.

I'll leave the explanation of how the shockcord is "attached" to the trav cleat to our resident class measurer

9. AlanD

AlanD Former ISAF Laser Measurer

The ruler states

Whilst it could be argued that Pic 1 & 3 also fail, this is the normal way the shockcord is set up. Picture 2 fails to meet the criteria set in the rule or how the rule is normally interpreted.

10. oztayls

oztayls Member

Thanks gents for clearing this up for me. The interpretation of the rule still has me bemused though. ;)

11. 49208

49208 Tentmaker

Agreed it's a bit fuzzy.. :D

12. LooserLu

LooserLu LooserLu

Aft now about 2 years I asked this question: I guess, it is better to follow your hint ,thanks Greg, my brother in mind!

But, brother "Clive H. (yes you my good friend, from AUS)", please take your view on this issue here (and perhaps add a decent "rule in addition" to handle it "bulletproof", in compliance with J.-L.-M./FRA)! I guess , you are sure on recreation of "THE" 2011 heavy wind event of SF Bay, aren't you (and ALL of the great guys and ladies that successful managed that races, never would put to much attention about this issue here) ? ... ;)
    Please, let us "d-level" Laser racers know in detail, how "the things" actually go, related to this "small bungee"-"hiking strap" issue!
    Again thanks ahead!
    Your's
    The
    {"d-level" Laser racer}
    Lo(o)serLu