Trailer vs Roof Rack

Discussion in 'Laser Talk' started by Goneswimmin, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Michael.Carlson

Michael.Carlson Member

2. Quagers

Quagers Member

That 6 stacker is very impressive

3. powergroove

powergroove Member

Thanks VTgent49 for the pixm, thats what I was looking for.

4. MrLucky

MrLucky New Member

Whut PowerGROOVY ain't telling ya is that I'm building the stacker fer free, and while I'm so sure we might both like one of those Trailex Stackers, But we're getting the 2x4 version until he "Busts Out Another Thousand" . . . .
    :cool:Take that ya catsailing bonehed . . .:D
    Cary
    So many Boats, So little time . . .

(PS If ya read this, I'll have the Stacker finished Sunday and parked back in yer driveway.)

5. Matt B

Matt B Member

it must suck where you live because in england we dont have to regester trailers and to save money you can even make your own like i have and mine was made out of scrap metal and you dont need to service them ever really apart from grease in the hubs and when they start rumbeling after about six years just get some more £60 for a pair what a bargin.

6. MiLLz

MiLLz Member

Truely! The cost of registration here could easily equate to the cost of building one given the proper choice of parts.

7. linesmachine

linesmachine New Member

My boat is wider than my rack. I haven't car topped it yet but intend to do so for a lengthy road trip. Has anyone got a pic they could show me of a car topped laser with launch trailer and masts all secured etc? I could do with some hints!:confused:

8. g1gaumond

g1gaumond Member

We copied the set-up shown by MasterMike, with some improvements, where we made the box slightly higher which allowed us to included a locking box for all components, sails etc. See picture.

Young princess picked the colours and painted it to her liking. Works great.

But I would be eager to see some roof rack set-up pictures posted here, I think it would be great and offer some guidance. We have a roof rack system for skis (Thule) and would like to see how others are setting it up.

Let's go Laserforum members let's see some more shots!:D

Thanks!

GG

Attached Files:

9. linesmachine

linesmachine New Member

Yeh, sounds ubergeeky but some pics of how people mount their lasers with launch trolley/masts etc would be very useful!

10. MiLLz

MiLLz Member

11. marginal

marginal Member

Here's how I'm moving mine around right now.
    [​IMG]
    70mph and 35mpg, no problem.
    It's safer than it looks....

12. torrid

torrid Just sailing

Here's mine. I've been all up and down the east coast like this.

[​IMG]

And here's another one:

[​IMG]

Also done it with a couple of Explorers over the years. Never had the nerve to try it with my GTO.

Note my load bars are spread out further than marginal's. My bars are about 40" apart. I purposely bought a wagon with a long roof rack so I can do this. This is probably more a personal preference than anything else. I have seen many people cartop with the load bars only a couple of feet apart.

13. g1gaumond

g1gaumond Member

Wow , this is why I love this forum so much, you guys rock!;)

Millz, extremely helpful slideshow, fantastic, thanks for doing this.

Got the rack on the roof now, will test set-up next week-end, with all these pictures it will now be a breeze, seabreeze that is!:cool:

Fair winds,

GG

14. linesmachine

linesmachine New Member

Yeh, Millz's slideshow was especially useful and gave me a fewideas about how to car-top my boat singlehandedly. I will have to mount mine from the rear (ahem!), anyone have any good ideas about hwo I could do that on my own?

15. MiLLz

MiLLz Member

I'm glad I could inspire.

I have read about a cartopping method from the rear of the car by lining up the boat and the car rear to rear and flipping the boat over its transom. I tried this and found it dangerous with my subaru. I think it would work best if you have a tall car/van. If you use this method you can also employ your hatchback door (if present) as a hydraulic lift assist system.

16. linesmachine

linesmachine New Member

Oddly that's pretty much exactly what I had in mind in terms of doing it from the rear (ahem!). My biggest concern is the flipping procedure, can't envisage having the strength to do it unless it's done on the launching trolley.

17. MichFish

MichFish Member

Question for Torrid,

I like your dolly main tube pads (at least they appear to be a pad?). Did you purchase the pads, or make them yourself?

MichFish

18. MiLLz

MiLLz Member

I imagine the ground would support much of the weight, especially since the stern is heavier side of the boat. Balance at the top could be a greater challenge because the transom is not square.

19. torrid

torrid Just sailing

I bought 'em from Seitech. You could probably get some foam pipe insulation at Home Depot and do the same. Or a wiggle-worm at Wally-World. I think that's basically what's underneath the fancy cloth covers.

20. fracisco

fracisco New Member

What's the trick on securing the spars in this setup?