Trailer questions

btsunfish

Hi,
These are my thoughts for my SF trailer. I'm going to trailer it rightside up, using perpendicular bunks and pool noodles for bunk pads. The suspension is so rusted that I can't remove leaves, so I figured this is the best way to go; however, after lifting and dropping the trailer several times, the leaves have loosened up enough so that the trailer dips about 1/2" when I stand on it (I weigh about 150). Below is my proposed design for cradles, indicated by the red lines and arrows. The blue line is a winch which I can't remove.
The problem is that the main beam (the long rectangle) is tubular (the rest of the frame is square or has flat surfaces to bolt through) and I forsee trouble fixing the cradles to the trailer in any of the positions, especially those closer to the winch.
Any ideas?

Attachments

• trail.bmp
    584.7 KB · Views: 48
sorry heres a jpeg of the trailer design

Attachments

• trail.JPG
    trail.JPG
    9.9 KB · Views: 40
Sounds like a good first project for learing to weld. You can get a MIG welder for not too much. I always liked gas welding better. Anyway, once you learn to weld you can have a custom trailer any way you want it. From the looks of it, the trailer would benifit greatly from additional beams running from the wheel area to the winch area.

They welded the winch to the trailer? Nothing a good hacksaw or cutting torch could not take care of.

Rusted suspension? You can get replacement springs at you trailer supply store.

Back