Tiller wanted

Discussion in 'Sunfish Wanted Ads' started by wendybrown, Oct 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wendybrown

wendybrown New Member

Hello! Looking for just a Sunfish tiller to go with the newer (spring type) style rudder (will buy whole rudder tiller assembly if I have to). Mine cracked and broke! Thanks. colonelporter@yahoo.com, Wendy

2. fhhuber

fhhuber Member

You can get a heavy wood mop handle (commercial grade) cut and drill to fit.
    You want a wood handle that is "too wide" to fit, then sand flats on it to get it into the bracket.
    Drill the other end for the extension bolt... (one mop handle can make the tiller and a short extension)
    That gets you back on the water until you find or make a "correct" replacement.
    The only real issue with this as a permanent fix is the wood will rot faster than a mahogany tiller. It could last 5 or 10 years.

Picture of your broke one... it might be repairable. Drill, pin with fiberglass rod (bicycle pennant) and epoxy it back together. Sometimes it works... sometimes it can't due to break location.

Mahogany isn't too hard to get and its really not hard to make a tiller.

3. wendybrown

wendybrown New Member

Thank you! I'm more a super glue kind of handywoman than a drill/bolt/pin (and what in tarnation is a bicycle pennant?:)…..but thank you for your good tips! Last time I wielded a drill I nearly drilled thru my finger!

4. fhhuber

fhhuber Member

5. Alan S. Glos

Alan S. Glos Active Member

Wendy,

Do you just need the wood tiller handle; can you transfer your current hardware? If so, I think I have one. Reply and let me know.

Alan Glos
    Cazenovia, NY

6. wendybrown

wendybrown New Member

Hello, Alan,
    Yes! I only need the long wood tiller piece; my rudder, tiller extension piece, and all hardware survived just fine. That would be wonderful! If it didn't work I could ship it back to you. Thanks, let me know! Sincerely, Wendy

7. beldar boathead

beldar boathead Well-Known Member

FYI FH, Sunfish tillers are usually ash from the factory, not mahogany. BB

8. wendybrown

wendybrown New Member

THank you all! Unfortunately, I'm not handy enough to whip one up, but am hoping Alan might find his extra and let me know about that. Thanks again.

9. sailcraftri

sailcraftri Well-Known Member

Wendy if Alan does not have an extra I have several new and used tillers I can sell without the hardware. $25 for refinished used tillers and $45 for new ash tiller. Contact me at cjo1023 at yahoo dot com. Shipping extra. Located in Rhode Island.

10. Alan S. Glos

Alan S. Glos Active Member

Wendy,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you; I was out of town for a few days.

I have a mahogany (not ash) tiller handle, used and could use a coat of varnish. All the hardware holes are pre-drilled, so it is a fairly easy retrofit. $28 + shipping.
    E-mail me at: aglos@colgate.edu if you are interested; I would need your full name and mailing address to compute shipping.

For some reason I can't seem to upload a photo, sometimes a problem here on the

Alan Glos
    Cazenovia, NY

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.