Tight tolerances

Discussion in 'Laser Class Politics' started by sprayblond, Dec 25, 2011.

1. sprayblond

sprayblond Member

In one account, known as the Judgment of Solomon, two women came before Solomon to resolve a quarrel over which was the true mother of a baby. When Solomon suggests dividing the living child in two with a sword, the true mother is revealed to him as she is willing to give up her child rather than see the baby killed. Solomon then declares the woman who shows compassion to be the true mother, and gives the baby to her.

The baby is just about to be divided...

2. torrid

torrid Just sailing

They can sue whoever they want for whatever reason. Actually winning in court is a different story. Even if you are legally in the right, you may still have to hire a lawyer at great expense. Personally, I'm not wililng to take such a risk on a boat I sail for fun.

3. Old Dude

Old Dude Member

Squeeze ILCA for what?

In terms of the larger dispute, maybe I completely misunderstand this, but LP has a disagreement with Kirby, who took back rights from GS, and they maybe have a beef with the ISAF which has managed to stick its head in the sand and refuse to deal with the issue or let others deal with the issue, but I just don't see any disagreement between LP and ILCA.

In terms of charter boats, how is this not a supply and demand thing for either GS or LP? They are free to charge what the market will bear and if they can't make money out of it then they get out of the charter business, no?

The whole underlying problem is so hard to understand with so little information being public but it just seems like ISAF is holding everybody hostage through its inaction and as a result all parties are trying to find their own way out of the woods which sadly also seems to means the class itself suffers.

4. sprayblond

sprayblond Member

Issue seems to be solved now. The ILCA web pages for 4,7 worlds have been opened for final registration.

5. SFBayLaser

SFBayLaser Member

"Official" announcement for sponsorship here.

6. sprayblond

sprayblond Member

Maybe I'm missing something here, but I fail to see what this has to do with getting charter boats at events. Who is going to do the hauling and fixing? Will only sponsored sailors get charter boats?

7. Old Dude

Old Dude Member

Uh... somebody please tell me I am misreading this. It seems to me theese are maybe (???) the first baby steps to the splintering of the Laser class. I want to be the dumb American in this case but it looks like they are doing exactly what GS said they would do in (GS) setting up a Kirby dinghy class. Is LP setting up a Laserperformance class with this?

Somebody please tell me I am misunderstand and wrong...

I am afterall just an,

Old Dude

8. 49208

49208 Tentmaker

I'm no lawyer and I didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn last night, but I'm not seeing the intent to splinter the class by what Maclaren/LP are doing. Not knowing how the previous arrangement worked for LP chartering/supplying boats to ILCA events, it's really tough to draw too many conclusions. We would have to hear from ILCA exec's to really tell us what the difference in the arrangements are.

If you look at the next to last page of http://laserperformance.com/dmdocuments/mac_orgapplication_021512f.pdf , it appears that Maclaren has "event packages" available that include delivering and picking up the boats.

9. Tillerman

Tillerman Member

I don't know if this is a "splintering of the Laser class" but the individual sponsorship form from Maclaren does say..

So if you, as an individual, apply for sponsorship you do have to join a "union" set up by LaserPerformance United. It's not clear to me what the purposes of this union will be. Will it be similar to a class association or something different?

10. torrid

torrid Just sailing

I think the proverbial you-know-what may have just hit the fan.

11. SFBayLaser

SFBayLaser Member

First I have heard of "LaserPerformance United".

Well, one can't say that we don't live in interesting times!

For the record, LP is not handling the charter boats for the 4.7 and Standard Youth Worlds, ILCA will be.

12. LooserLu

LooserLu LooserLu

For GER's m/fm's "2012 Seniors (<age 35) Worlds for the Laser"* at the s.c. "Boltenhagen" coast (@: s.c. "Baltic Sea"), our official LP(UK) - Laser store (@Hamburg) sure tries its very best, to offer enough s.c."OEM Laser's" as charter boats for ALL pro_Laserite-competitors that will come to us ( ... All I got as news from them, during my visit (in the end of January 2012) at their stand at GER's famous watersport exhibition "boot 2012").

-> "Pro's"! Come to us, your're all invited for a "final test" before you go to Wymouth/UK! It's lovely at Boltenhagen and sure a good place to meet friends tight, before you battle for the medals, in front of the complete s.c. "sailing globe"!

BTW:
    My actually "measurement"-problem in the moment now is:
    Is it DEFINITLELY/OFFICIALLY permitted, by our loved ILCA class rules, to use at the boom the "Racing"-Camcleat type " CL211 MK1", instead originally the "Camcleat 13 Racing Junior MK1"? I have reasons (that I explain later here, if the time comes for) to say:
    It is NOT conform to the s.c. "ILCA class rules for the Laser", to replace the "Camcleat 13 Racing Junior MK1" by the follower: "CL211 Mk1" (view my picture here in attacment and compare to your own those 2 "different" types of Camcleats) at the boom of a "Laser 1"! Here, I remember to my former ask at TLF, about the correct fixing of the hikingstrap bungee at the traveller and the coorect type of Camcleat that there is permitted. (Only the "Camcleat 13 Racing Junior MK1" is permitted to use there, by the "ILCA class rules for the Laser"!!)

And YES, "AlanD," I could hear your laughing already yert, but I need a correct answer to my request!! May I've to ask the fom my side most unloved ILCA officer "Jean Luc M." (you know, for many reasons, I really hate to ask this "strange" guy directly via email ...)

Have all a nice Sunday!
    LooserLu
    --------------
    {*: -> http://www.laserklasse.de/pages/worlds-2012.php }

Attached Files:

13. torrid

torrid Just sailing

So, did anything ever become of "LaserPerformance United"?