Through bolted my Blocks

mmadge

want to exchange my Blocks that have been through bolted,wondering how to get old ones off and still use the through bolts.
Unfortunatly I cut the bolt off flush with nut.

I can't imagine how they're thru-bolted, except that there is a way to access the end of the fastener that's inside the hull. If that's the case, get in there and hold the head of the bolt to remove it. I'd think there's gotta be an inspection port nearby.

FWIW, I've always put the head of the screw/bolt on the outside cuz it lays flatter than a nut does. But either way works.

No access to the head inside... you can get a Dremel and diamond "cut off" wheel, cut a slot in the nut's end of the bolt/stud. Hold the bolt with a flat blade screwdriver and turn the nut with an open end wrench (maybe) You might weaken the nut in the process of cutting the slot and so might need to replace it.

This trick does not always work... Its based on a type of needle valve with a locking nut. Fairly low torque application allowing you to hold the bolt with the screwdriver. Higher torque and the bolt is potentially hard to hold.

If its a stud into a threaded backing plate, this trick is just about the best you can get. Once the nut is off you can then pull the stud. and replace with a longer one.

No access to the head inside... you can get a Dremel and diamond "cut off" wheel, cut a slot in the nut's end of the bolt/stud. Hold the bolt with a flat blade screwdriver and turn the nut with an open end wrench (maybe) You might weaken the nut in the process of cutting the slot and so might need to replace it.

This trick does not always work... Its based on a type of needle valve with a locking nut. Fairly low torque application allowing you to hold the bolt with the screwdriver. Higher torque and the bolt is potentially hard to hold.

If its a stud into a threaded backing plate, this trick is just about the best you can get. Once the nut is off you can then pull the stud. and replace with a longer one.
That is a great idea,thanks for the reply.

Back