this seems like a pretty good deal...

Discussion in 'Capri/Catalina 14 Talk' started by robm5, Feb 7, 2013.

?

Should I buy this boat for $700 even if it doesn't have sails and the trailer needs new tires?

1. I would in a heartbeat

100.0%
  2. Probably not a good deal

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. robm5

robm5 New Member

Understood.

Thanks for explaining. I pray that never happens to me. -Rob

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. gregwcoats

gregwcoats Member

I have a roller furler jib on my boat, it just hanks on where the forstay would attach, 3/4 of the way up the mast, and then uses the same attachment point on the bow of the boat, I sail solo most of the time and the roller headsail is the only way to go as far as I am concerned. I drop my mast every time I trailer the boat to the launch ramp.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. robm5

robm5 New Member

Greg, that's great to hear because I too will probably be solo-sailing most of the time and I really like the idea of having a r/f jib.

4. robm5

robm5 New Member

2.jpg 1.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg **UPDATE** Over the past couple of months I've accepted a job with my company on night shift, nearly broken my back acting way younger than my age and spent a several days trying to track down the owner of the boat who seems to have walked away from his property.

However, perseverance paid off and I finally got it on Monday of this week (picked it up for $500)!!! It cleaned up pretty nicely too. And George, you were right, the tires DID hold air! :) I found some sails that were virtually new and still in their original bag on Craigslist and there is a Hobie wholesale dealer around the corner where I picked up a new Hobie BabyBob for $100 (Greg, I'm using your design to mount it to the mast). I've also been able to buy Harken blocks and line from the wholesale dealer which has saved a few bucks (I'm pretty frugal if you can't tell) - several of the blocks (like the swivel blocks with becket) had to be ordered, so they should arrive next week.

I just have a couple of things to do to the trailer and I should be good to go. I'm affixing the Bob to the mast in the next couple of days. I will have many upcoming questions for the group, but I am really excited.

Thanks to the several guys who have already given me advice, this is a great forum and I feel fortunate to have found it. Attached are a couple of pictures of my progress thus far.

Thanks and have a great day,
    Rob

• Like Like x 1
  5. Eurodoublecab

Eurodoublecab New Member

I picked up a 1998 cp-k 14.2 Full keel on a nice galvanized trailer today. with roller furler for $250. Been stored inside for a few years. Tires good, but is missing the boom and mainsail. Do you still have your sails for sale? I can get a new retrofit boom from Catalina for $250, so if I can find a main, I'll be set. Thanks