Thinking of selling my 1986 capri 14.2

Discussion in 'Capri/Catalina 14 Classified Ads' started by SHNOOL, Aug 18, 2008.

1. SHNOOL

SHNOOL Member

I have been active on this board. I want to upgrade to something more "family friendly." Wanna know what a fair price is for my boat.

Sails are standard, and OK... but due for a trip to sail care (was gonna do it the end of this season)... there is light mildew stains on the main... otherwise, no tears/rips/or loose thread.

I just redid the teak (sorry I went lazy route and natural stained, and clearcoated)... New main halyard, new hiking strap bungee, new sail bag, restained the tiller, new main sheet, new jib sheets, new mast head fly. Rigged with a trolling motor connector with deep cycle battery in cubby, and new in 2007 Minn Kota 30lb thrust trolling motor. Actually am waiting on a new hiking strap kit from Catalinadirect (the fronts are fine, missing the back).

Trailer is sound, with bearing buddies... no obvious rust, lights work... tongue has a slight twist (from previous owner), but hasn't been a problem, and have hauled her hundreds of miles.

Finally, and this is truth in advertising, I noticed some slight osmosis blisters when last I went out... nothing big... the biggest about the size of an eraser head, but there are a lot of them (anyone have an idea how big a problem this is, because the fiberglass doesn't "thud"). The mast step is sound, and the plywood in the cubby is sound, I am too big to fit into the cubby to check under the seats, but the decking does not flex..

So whats it worth? This is non-committal, so I won't hold anyone to it. Just trying to get a ballpark... might offer it up to my brother/sisters as they all sail too, and I really would hate to see it go. Feel free to email me shnool at yahoo com if you want more pictures, I have tons from this summer season! Just had her out last weekend in fact.

2. JGM

JGM Member

Too bad about the hull blisters. My boat has them too, and they're the number one indicator for pricing. Mine is a '94, was in good shape, hardly used but a little dirty. The sails looked new, the lines were serviceable and it had the motor mount included. Along with the boat came copies of all the previous resales. At one point the boat was trading hands for as little as $100. That's the stigma associated with blisters.

I paid $1000 for the boat and $200 for the trailer. For some that might seem high but I thought it a bargain considering other options on the market. Since I keep the boat on a trailer, the blisters won't get any worse and I can live with the 1% hit in boat speed. I have most of the stuff for fixing the problem but it seems less an issue as the years roll by. The trouble is transferring that level of carelessness to a new owner who probably doesn't want to hear about any serious manufacturing defects in the hull. Sigh.....

Jim

3. SHNOOL

SHNOOL Member

Yeah, my thoughts were the boat wasn't worth much more than $1000 with the trailer anywho... I was offerred that at the beginning of the season on a trade, so maybe a tad more, but not much. It IS 22 years old, and although the rigging is sound, and I have been working on everything I can, the hull needs attention.

Still might consider keeping her, at $1000, it isn't enough to justify trading her, and she's still a blast to sail! Fixing it, would make me keep her for sure.