The Phantom sailboat is back!

Discussion in 'Sunfish Talk' started by beldar boathead, Jul 15, 2009.

1. baseman

baseman On the Water

Stang - I probably don't live very far from you. I would consider myself S. New Hamphire also.

2. 67stang

67stang Member

...Ya can't get anymore southern than me, or I would be in Ma.!

3. FlashGordon

FlashGordon New Member

The rudder both you and 67Stang have would be fine. Unfortunately that is different from the rudder on the Pointer14 offered by J-Point Marine...see above. It appears to have a friction hold-down, with no connection to the tiller. Yours, and the Sunfish rudder, can be raised by pulling on the tiller. From my experience in the past, that feature is mighty handy when you are approaching the beach!
    I got the Sunfish gudgeon today thanks to Heather at Laser Performance. At appears that two of the bolt holes will line up. I just need to drill two additional holes. I'll post the result here.

4. baseman

baseman On the Water

I got to see a Pointer 14 up close and personal last weekend. They have made a few changes, but basically it looks just like a Phantom with Sunfish stripes.

I also brought a Scorpion home yesterday. The rudder and daggerboard are much smaller than the Phantom even though the boats are the same size. Makes me wonder where the rudder I have for the Phantom came from.

Stang- could you post or send me a picture of your Phantom rudder(s), and possibly the dimensions?

5. 67stang

67stang Member

Stang- could you post or send me a picture of your Phantom rudder(s), and possibly the dimensions?[/quote]

Ok, The 1990 measurements are;
    The long length is 26 5/8"
    The short length is around 25 1/2"
    The width is 7 3/8 "
    The tiller bar is 44 1/4 " long
    The tiller extension is 24 1/2 " long
    The thickness of the rudder is 13/16" thick

The 1982 measurements are the same except for:
    The tiller bar is 44 1/2 "
    The tiller extension is 25 1/2 "
    The pics are of the 1990 first , and then the 1982

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  6. baseman

baseman On the Water

Thanks. Now I now my rudder is not original. It's about a foot longer than it needs to be. No wonder I had so much trouble with it. I don't know where it came from amd neither does the guy I bought the boat from. Maybe I'll just cut the blade to the original length. It won't look the same as the original, but it might be easier to manage.

On another note, one of the Scorpion spars is bent. Can they be staightened or is it history?

7. Wavedancer

Wavedancer Upside down? Staff Member

8. MarcM

MarcM New Member

That's good news!!
    I just bought a used (luckily, in perfect condition) a 1978 Phantom sailboat. It sounds like getting parts is still iffy??
    I copied the link for others' future reference, but after reading on, it sounds like http://www.j-pointmarine.com/index.htm is not really cooperating ??
    Are many of their parts identical??

9. baseman

baseman On the Water

MarcM - Depending on what parts you may need, you won't need to rely on J-Point Marine to get them. The rudder assemebly Jpoint uses is different from the original, but the gudgeon is the same. I asked them at one point if the cockpit bailer on the Pointer 14 would work on a Phantom. They said it wouldn't, but would not tell me why. As for sails and spars, I'm using a no logo Sunfish sail, and as far as I can tell, Sunfish spars will work also. A race cut Sunfish sail from Intensity Sails would be a good choice if you need a new sail.

10. Merrimac

Merrimac Member

Yes, I think it is the old Howmar 12, there are some differences-but i think its the same boat.
    [​IMG]

11. SyBorg

SyBorg New Member

J-Point has been very cooperative with me.

12. Gail

Gail 24186

Pointer 12 reminds me of the old Holders, I think there was a 12? 14?

13. Merrimac

Merrimac Member

Howmar 12 and holder twelve
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Personally, the Howmar looks more like the Pointer, the Holder is more of a Zuma type boat

M

14. Robert Baker

Robert Baker New Member

I just bought a phantom rudder from e-bay with no tiller. Can anyone post the specs for the tiller so that I can have one made? What would be a good wood to use to make this tiller?

Bob

15. baseman

baseman On the Water

Did the rudder come with the bracket? The Phantom tiller has a bracket that mates with the rudder bracket to hold the rudder down. The Phantom tiller is aluminum, 1 x 1 1/2, 44 1/5 inches long with a 26 inch extension. I have a tiller but not the extension (I used the extension on the tiller I made for my Viking). You could use wood, but you would need the bracket that attaches to the tiller.

16. Robert Baker

Robert Baker New Member

Yes, it does have a bracket. It looks as if the tiller slips between the bracket and there are two thru bolts that hold it in place. I'll know exactly in a few days when I get it. Thank you very much for the information. Would you be willing to sell your tiller? If so what would be your asking price?

bob

17. baseman

baseman On the Water

Bob, where are you located? I'll come with a price when I know what it might cost to ship the tiller. Send me a PM.

18. Robert Baker

Robert Baker New Member

I live in Charleston, SC

19. baseman

baseman On the Water

Robert, I sent you a message regarding the tiller.

20. SyBorg

SyBorg New Member

Hi,

anyone know of where I might get a custom made sail for my Phantom...want a graphic or name for my kids on the sale.
    Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2014