The Olympic Torch 2008 is lit

Discussion in 'The Dockhouse' started by LooserLu, Mar 24, 2008.

1. LooserLu

LooserLu LooserLu

Hi all,
    the Olympic flame is lit at Olympia, Greece just about 30 minutes ago (11:45:37 a.m. GMT) and will travel across Greece to end at the Panathinaiko Stadium, where the first modern Olympic Games were held in 1896. On March 31, the torch will arrive in Beijing, where a ceremony will be held and the torch relay will commence.

With a 130 day, 137,000 kilometer (85,127 mile) route planned for the Beijing 2008 Olympics Torch Relay, the world will soon be witness to the Olympic Torch as it travels great distances spanning cities reaching 5 of the Earth’s continents. One of the highlights of the relay includes an attempt to reach the highest peak in the world, Mt. Qomolangma (Mt. Everest).

The “Lucky Cloud” design of the Olympic Torch features a traditional scroll design which captures the Chinese heritage as well as many technological advances and environmentally-friendly features. All of these features combined create a sophisticated torch capable of withstanding strong winds (up to a maximum of 65 km per hour), rain, discoloration, and corrosion. To top it off, the torch is made of recyclable material and the propane fuel even meets environmental requirements. The torch is about 28 inches in length and weighs a little over 2 pounds.

2. LooserLu

LooserLu LooserLu

Re: The OlympicTroch 2008 is lit

I just forgot to add a photo.

Attached Files:

3. LooserLu

LooserLu LooserLu

Hi,
    today the Olympic Torch did arrive at Bejing, the capital of China. The ceremony there, to start the big run with the torch, has been hold at the "Place of Heavens Peace". etc. etc. etc. ...

Should we not see the reality, what's realy up there, and should we only see the world only with pink glasses, like the government of China or the IOC like to have it. I say for me: Today, March 31th 2008, it is also the "day of international solidarity for Tibet". At many public buildings at my country, they did hoist up the colour* of Tibet.

Laser Standard and Laser Radial do have an Omlypic competition at Quingdao, at the Olympic Games 2008. Should stay the competitors at home, forget all of the pain they had to get their ticket to Quingdao 2008, to show their solidarity to the much more pain a lot of people of Tibet now, just at this moment, have at Lasa or other towns around there, to fight for their freedom and to have an autonomous state at China?
    Difficult question, for me. For a sportsman it's the crown to be allowed to start at the Games. From that aspect, I would understand each one of them to try to join the Games. BUT, what a bloody medal one there would get... I wouldn't have a good feeling, with joining such Games. Should one find an alternative area, to hold the 2008 Games somewhere else (f.e.: Athens or Sydney)?
    Many qustions to discuss. What are your opinions?

Ciao
    LooserLu

*:Today, March-31th, I changed my avatar at TLF for 24h. Swan Petra (my originally new avatar at TLF) returns soon.

4. Merrily

Merrily Administrator Staff Member

This is politics directly related to Laser sailing. Discussion welcome. Well-done, Lu.

5. Scott B

Scott B Member

I agree with Lu - the Olympics should not be held in China. The philosophy of the Chinese government is the polar opposite of what the Olympics stand for.

And, China is planning on taking over the world - but that is a discussion for another thread......

6. DK Sailor

DK Sailor New Member

ya i agree too.when do the olympics start and were will they be view able

7. Bradley

Bradley Administrator Staff Member

Broadcast Information

Here is some information on Television coverage of the 2008 Olympic games. Coverage varies by country; check your local listings for more information.

The Olympics will be held in August with the opening ceremonies taking place on 08-08-08. These games will be the first to be produced and broadcast entirely in high definition television, and will likely garner upwards of four billion viewers.

I personally am hoping to catch a glimps of some High Definition olympic sailing. Hopefully sailing won't be relegated to a channel like MSNBC or the internet that isn't available in HD. All the other major NBC Universal networks are available in High Definition on Directv and possibly your local cable provider.
    • In the United States the games will be covered by NBC Universal with more than 1400 hours of coverage spread between the NBC broadcast network and its sister cable nets.
    • In Canada the public broadcast network CBC and cable networks TSN and RDS will broadcast the games.
    • In the UK the games will be covered by the BBC.
    • In Australia the games will be covered by the Seven Network.
    • In Brazil the Games will be broadcast by TV Globo, Rede Bandeirantes (free-to-air) and Sportv, ESPN Brasil and BandSports (cable-tv networks).
    • Eurosport will carry the games within the the EU.
    • In Germany the games will be covered by ARD and ZDF.
    I'm a TV/media junky so I will try to provide dates and times for sailing coverage in the US and other regions as I find it.

Also noticed this interesting story when looking up the broadcast information:

8. sk8ingsailor

sk8ingsailor Member

Yeah, If you could tell us when sailings on that would be great!
    TIA!

9. Strangler

Strangler Member

Hmm! The thread doeas a 180 degree turn in one sentance. Lets get back to the politics.

10. LooserLu

LooserLu LooserLu

At GER now exsists a movement of active athletes, that try to organize a sort of quiet protest. -> Spend one Euro and get your protest-bracelet -> for more infos view this Homepage: http://www.netzathleten.de/ . (You may use any onlinetranslator like that of the google-toolbar to translate the informations into your native language.)

One point to discuss is the Olympic Charter § 51.3.

{Quote §51.3 of the Olympic Charter}

"...No kind of demonstration or political, religious or racial propaganda is permitted in any Olmpic sites venues or areas. ..."

{End of Quote}

If an Olympic athlete not follow this, the sanctions, in easy words for sailors, will perhaps be: "BFS"/Black-Flag (or in better words: Disqualification from the Games or losing the Olympic-Accreditation).

The dilemma is:

How much is permitted to say or to do, if one is Olympic athlete and has the ticket for the Games at China?

Mr. Jacques Rogge (IOC-President) says: ... its the Basic right of all, to not say something, but no Olymic Athlete will be not permitted to say what he/she thinks. ...

Okay, the discussion at GER at the Olympic discipline "sailing, open sailing class, single handed, male" is easy, related to "§ 51.3": No German male Laserite, up to now, is allowed to start at Quingdao (perhaps one gets a permition in future to start, but in the moment, no male one is nominated to start for the discipline "Laser").
    Our very hopeful female olympic athlete for the discipline "Laser-Radial" ("sailing, open sailing class, single handed, female" is Petra Niemann. I don't know her opinion.

However, at the country where I live, active sportswomen and sportsmen discuss the situation very intensive - in front of the curtains (f.e. GER female Judoka Yvonne Boenisch does not join the Olymic Opening Ceremony, but joins the Olympic Jodoka contests: -> " http://www.zeit.de/online/2008/16/boenisch-olympia-boykott?from=rss ") and behind the curtains, of course.

What activities of active athletes are to find at ohter countries? Would be interesting

Ciao
    LooserLu*

*: LooserLu is not an "Olympic hopeful" (never has been...) and luckily not has to folllow the § 51.3 of the Olympic Charter. So, .... ;)