News The Leukemia Cup at the Washington Sailing Marina

Wavedancer

Upside down?
Staff member
Sep 9: Leukemia Cup at the Washington Sailing Marina, Alexandria, VA

Raise a sail, and help fight leukemia, lymphoma and myeloma

Every year, the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, together with several local sailing clubs, sponsor a weekend of sailing at the Washington Sailing Marina (adjacent to Reagan National Airport). Whereas a major goal is to raise funds for a very worthwhile cause, this event is also a lot of fun. The festivities begin on Friday Sep 8 with a kickoff party sponsored by Outback Steakhouse, and many more activities are scheduled for Saturday. This is a big, casual event with many fleets on the water.

An outright donation to the Leukemia Society is encouraged, but not required. Also, please check out the Society's web page for tips and suggestions on fundraising: http://www.leukemiacup.org/nca

Registration ($20, which includes dinner) starts on Saturday at 8:15 am, Skippers' Meeting is at 11, and the first start for the smaller boats is scheduled for 12 noon. After the racing, the festivities should start around 3:30 PM.

Last year, four Sunfishes went for line honors; hopefully we can at least match that number this year.

Depending on how long you stay for the festivities after dinner (included in the registration fee), you can be back home at a reasonable time.

Additional info can be found by linking to the Potomac River Sailing Association home page: http://potomacriversailing.org/
PS: You can also send me a private message.

Is there a good place on land to watch the race from?

I live a few minutes away and may pop by for a looksy.

Mark P said:
Is there a good place on land to watch the race from?

I live a few minutes away and may pop by for a looksy.

That would be great.

Regarding places to watch:

1. (Not on land) Join the Race Committee; they would love to see you and need more help as of today

2. The bigger boats sail the 'upper' course; roughly where the Anacostia and Potomac Rivers meet. I believe that you can watch from Haines Point; perhaps also from the area on the VA side where people watch the airplanes land. It's all dependent on the wind; hard to give a recommendation right now.

The 'lower' course will be used for the smaller boats, including Sunfish. It's usually near the Power Plant on the VA side. I don't think there is a good place to watch from land. But two years ago we sailed in the cove; obviously, lots of good spectator spots on the grassy area. I can't predict what the Race Committee will do this year. But do stop by, if you have a chance. The organizers may have me help with registration though...

Back