News The 2008 Sunfish World Championship Concludes

T

TSF News

The 2008 Sunfish World Championship concluded today. After a great week of sailing at Buffalo Canoe Club, seventy two tired sailors returned to shore after finishing the final 3 races of the 12 race series in a 15-20 knot southeast breeze.The experience of Paul Foerster shined throughout the regatta. He sailed a consistent, smart series [...]

Click here for more information...

I've never seen anything like the last day (in a Sunfish). The wind and rain just came up HARD as we headed out to sail in front of the remains of that big storm that hit Florida for 4 days.

But it wasn't just the wind. The waves were just amazing. I'd estimate they were easily 10 feet in high and very close together. That meant literally being airborn at the top of some of them, both upwind and downwind. The reaches were in planing conditions from start to finish. That is unless you fell off of one of the waves and ended up in the lee of these walls of water. IT wasn't that the bow could get buried, as much as you would just stop moving from lack of air. Meanwhile everyone else was going 25 MPH (a crash boat guy said he clocked the fleet). I really hope there are some good photos out there that get posted from Thursday.

I stunk in the stuff, not having a clue of how to go fast upwind in those conditions, and it was borderline scary at times, but what fun!

Of note: the wind blew from exactly 310 degrees, 00 degrees, 90 degrees (two days), and 120 degrees -- in that order -- over the course of the five-days of racing (including the practice race). I have never seen that before, either.

Did the judges have something to do? In other words, were there any Rule 42 infractions/penalties?

There were maybe 8 Rule 42 penalties, including a few on guys in the top 10. Nobody got nailed more than once, however.

Thanks to TSF News (whoever you are!) for the prompt updates throughout the regatta! Much appreciated! BB

I'm glad you enjoyed the updates BB. TSF News is a computer searching for Sunfish News 24 hours a day.

If any one knows of a RSS feed they would like to see on The Sunfish Forum feel free to email me.

Bests,

Back