Texas Capri 14.2 sailors

Dave Lilley

Is anyone else here involved in racing and/or recreational sailing the 14.2 in Texas?

I live near San Antonio, and so far, I have sailed at Canyon Lake and Lake Travis. My son and I have been practicing, and we plan to start participating in the Texas Centerboard Circuit. I would love to see more C14.2s, because even though each boat is rated using Portsmouth Number handicap matrix to make the races "fair", it would be nice to see how my boat and crew rate against other C14.2s.

Dave

I'm a new (six week) 14.2 owner in San Antonio. So far I've spent most of my time on Canyon. Last weekend I spent a windless day at LBJ.

This is my first sailboat, and I haven't logged enough time yet to consider racing. But maybe we could meet up at Canyon sometime and compare notes and performance ... just for fun.

JG

That would be great. Can two boats be considered a fleet? ;) I was out at Canyon last Saturday. The wind was ok in the morning, but much better after 4:00. Around noon, my son and I were stuck 100m from the beach by the dam, so we used the down time to eat lunch on the boat and swim a little.

This is my first boat, unless you count my RC sailboats. I've been sailing RC boats for over a year now, but I got tired of that, so I switch to the Capri. I didn't get my Capri until June, right before I attended the Adult Sail Training at the Austin Yacht Club on Lake Travis, which I highly recommend to anyone. (Since my training, I've been out nearly every weekend sailing or crewing.) The folks at AYC are great, the class is inexpensive and very informative, and everyone had a blast! I've been back for several events since, and I will be going again on August 14 and 15 for the centerboard regatta. You should come out to the regatta and race or crew. It is a lot of fun!

Dave

Make it three ...

Hey Y'all !

I also live in San Antonio, and sail a 1979 vintage Capri Omega 14, the predecessor to the Capri 14.2. I sail singlehanded, and am more into pleasure than racing. I usually sail at Medina Lake and Calaveros Lake (Calaveros is a nice place to practice btw, especially during the week).

Give me a shout,

- Greg Gibbons :)-)

Hi Greg,

I know a guy, Dave Froberg, who sails at Medina, but I haven't been to Medina Lake or Calaveros Lake yet. However, I would like to see them.

If the weather is good this weekend, I will be at Canyon on Saturday and possibly Sunday. Next weekend I will be in Austin, but after that, I could make a trip to one of the other local lakes.

I have sailed with other types of boats, but I can't wait to see how mine sails compared to other 14.2s, especially after my refurbish job. Plus, it's just nice to have company when the lulls hit!

BTW, how's the traffic on Medina and Calaveros? Travis and Canyon can get busy, especially with Jetskis, from time to time.

Dave

San Antonio sailors

If you guys want a list of San Antonio Capri 14.2 owners, e-mail me at [email protected] and I'll send you a list. Keep in mind it's from our historical data base, so some of the entries are bound to be obsolete. I can send S.A. or all of Texas, if you prefer.

Ed Jones

Re: Make it three ...

Greg:

I'd like to exchange notes about sailing spots. I've been sailing this summer at Canyon and LBJ.

Wind has been in short supply on every trip I've made to LBJ. Lots of boats and jet skis too. That and narrow channels haven't made it too enjoyable.

So far I haven't encountered any wind problems at Canyon, even with early morning launches. Still a lot of boats and jet skis, but there's enough room that everyone can spread out. I've been launching from Turkey Cove on the south shore, which has a nice dock.

I've sailed over to Comal Park, which looks like it has better ramps, and there are places you can beach. Dave has been launching there. I can't remember if there's a dock or not.

From what I remember of the launch ramp at Braunig, I think it might be a little tough for a sailboat. Calaveras and Medina I don't know much about.

We're trying to meet up Saturday morning at Comal Park. Maybe you could join us and make a three-boat squadron.

JG

Re: Saturday morning

JG -

Sorry ... I'd love to, having never sailed on Caynon Lake ... but I'll be fishing Saturday morning !

Calaveras and Braunig Lakes are two small reservoirs on the south side of town. They both feature electrical power plants, which use the lake water during the electricity production process. Both have nice concrete boat ramps, and are plenty big enough to sail on.

Medina Lake is quite a bit bigger, though not quite as big as Canyon. It also has its share of power boats and jet skis, but is only 30 minutes from my front door. There are at least four public boat ramps (Pop's, Joe's, Red's and the Medina County Park) and a multitude of private ramps as well.

- Greg :)-)

Comal Park has a small dock, but in my opinion, it isn't located close enough to the ramp. To tie up, I had to launch and then wade over to the dock while pulling my boat. In addition, the dock it aluminum, and the fenders aren’t the best, so I bring my own.

This worked ok, but it wasn't as convenient as the docks at AYC on Lake Travis, which are close to the ramp, big enough to hold a fairly large number of boats at a time, and in very good repair.

Greg,

You missed a funny sight this past weekend. When I went out to Canyon, it was supposed to be my son and me, but my wife invited the whole family, including her mother. That put us behind a little, so when I got there I rushed to set up (mistake #1). I set up the main sail so that when I hit the water, all I would need to do would be to pull it up. Unfortunately, while rushing, I didn’t check to ensure the halyard was clear, and after we floated away from the ramp, just too far to get back, I realized my mistake. The halyard was twisted around one shroud, and try as I might, I couldn’t get it free. Since I couldn’t get my boat back to the dock, I did the only thing I could. I capsized the boat and swam out to untangle the halyard. While my wife held the mast, I swam to the back to grab the centerboard. As luck would have it, I had forgot to put down the centerboard, which was now cleated on the high side of the boat (mistake #2). I finally got it uncleated, and with a few seconds, I had the boat righted. However, I forgot that my wife hadn’t been through the capsize exercise before, and I forgot to tell her to scoop herself into the boat as it righted (mistake #3). After helping her into the boat and flopping myself in like a marlin, we tried to get going. Now a bit frazzled, we couldn’t quite get coordinated. It was only then I realized that we also forgot our drinking water. Additionally, the boom vang line, which was in the hold of the Capri, was now deep under the port seat (mistakes #4 & #5). We went back to the boat ramp, and pick up our supplies and a spare line from my son. However, now there was a light head that wasn’t strong to move the boat effectively, and waves that kept pushing us back towards the shore. After what seemed like an eternity, we finally got the boat underway. Thankfully, the wind picked up quite nicely later and we had a good couple of hours of nice sailing conditions.

I learned a lot of lessons the hard way this past weekend. Hopefully I was at least entertaining for JG. Now I just hope this week at the AYC Governor's Cup goes better. (I will definitely make sure and be a little more patient!)

Dave

Hoping for a windy weekend

Hey, all y'all TX Capri 14 sailors !

Here's to hopes of good sailing weather this weekend. While I won't make it to the regatta in Austin, I do plan to head out to either Medina Lake or Canyon Lake on Saturday and/or Sunday, weather permitting.

Dave, in reference to your Canyon Lake adventure: that was quite the story! I had a similar experience the first time I capsized my Capri Omega 14. Got the boat back upright just fine, but because of its high transom and its ability to float VERY high, I couldn't get back in it. Ended up grabbing the painter, and towing it while swimming sidestroke to the nearest shoreline. After performing a quick equipment check, I noticed that I was missing my water jug ... which had now drifted at leat a half mile away! Gave me a chance to practice my man-overboard drill.

Oh ... you mention Dave Froberg .... he's the fella I bought my boat from!

- Greg :)-)

It looks as if I may not make it either. Yesterday at work I wasn't feeling well, and by the time I got home, I was running a pretty high fever. I now have all of the signs of the flu. This is the first time that I have been out of bed since I got home after work. Unless I clear up overnight, it looks as if my weekend will be very quiet. Have a good weekend sailing.

Dave

I'm finally well again, and I will be sailing at Canyon Lake tomorrow starting about 10:30am. Hope to see you guys there.

Dave

You guys missed it. Sailing was great for the first half of the day! It was only later in the day when we were hit by 26 mph winds and a 38 mph gust, as measured by the Lake Canyon Yacht Club’s weather station, when things got hairy. From my vantage point, during the worst of it, the waves picked up to about three or so feet and white capping. My son and I rode it out, sailing only on the main. I let out the main as much as I could to try to de-power the boat. Even then, going back to the launch, we got up on plane for what seemed about five minutes as we crossed the lake. The centerboard and boat made loud, strange humming sound that sounded similar to a whale singing. As we got into the cove near the Comal boat ramp, the winds started to die down, and the skies finally looked as if they might be clearing. When I thought the worst had passed, I told my son to unfurl the jib. Just then we were hit by another gust that blew us over in a split second. My son fell between the main sail and mast and I landed squarely in the main sail, which caused the boat to immediately turtle. The mast got stuck in the mud and I couldn’t right the boat. Some jet skiers and a ski boat came by to gawk. The ski boat got too close and collided with my boat, taking a nickel size chip out of the hull on the bow. To make matters worse, we were quickly being pushed into the shore by the waves and wind. A jet skier tried to tow us back out to deeper water so that I could free the mast. I finally got a jib sheet over the boat, and I was able to get the boat back in its side. However, even with my son and I hanging on the centerboard, with a combined estimated weight of 290 pounds, we couldn’t right the boat. That’s the first time that’s happened, and to that point, I’ve had the boat over accidentally twice, and another half dozen or so for capsizing practice. Usually I can right it by myself in a few minutes. With my son and me still hanging on to the side of the boat, we beached on the shore. Thankfully it wasn’t rocky where we landed. We got the boat back upright and on the water, but I was so tired by then, I couldn’t get the boat underway again. The wind and waves kept pushing us towards the shore. The same jet skier who helped earlier helped us again by towing us back to the ramp. Put simply, it was very humiliating, but I was very grateful nonetheless because I barely had the strength to move after that fight.

Dave

Attachments

• vws1766.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 256
It's all good. I don't mind learning the hard way, or as my dad used to say, “That which doesn't kill (or maim) us, makes us stronger and smarter�. He studied at the school of, “Let him stick the key into the socket. I bet he won’t do that again.� If I can avoid stuff like capsizing the boat, I will. However, now I know what to look out for in a strong wind. The wife had been through the capsize drill. I guess it was just my son's turn. I bet he will move quicker when I ask him to un-cleat a line next time. ;) As Victor Manning at the AYC says, its all about T.O.T. (time on tiller).

That said, I probably should have stayed home too.

BTW, I met another C14.2 sailor and his family. They are members out at LCYC. (They headed out as the really nasty stuff was hitting, but I had to back across the lake.) I was headed for the LCYC to find a safe harbor, since we were close, but then I thought that the weather might stick around for a while. Since our truck was on the other side of the lake, we decided to head for home. When the first gust hit, we were caught off guard and nearly went over. But as we calmed down, we were doing pretty well, so I decided to cross back and put in at Comal Park. It was all good until I started looking to pick up speed again. If I wouldn’t have told my son to unfurl the jib, we probably would have made it back to the ramp without incident.

p.s., The only thing I lost was my sun glasses, which were already half broken, and a brand new whisker pole that I hadn't even had a chance to use. Arrgghh.. Anyone here have scuba gear? It's only in 25 feet of water.

Dave,

Glad you are OK. It looks like another good chapter of sailing. :)

My son and I went out to the Bay this afternoon too. It was a beautiful Fall day with no cloud in the sky. Unfortunately there was no wind. we ended up motoring our Honda outboard for 2 hours :mad:

Later,

Hi Dave... nice meeting you out on the lake yesterday, and very sorry to hear that your day didn't end altogether well. When we split off, I headed back to the Yacht Club, got in right before the gusts really picked up. Don't feel too bad... there were several boats upset at the club, bigger boats...
Be in touch - Peter.

Hey Peter,

It was nice to meet you and your family. I'm glad you guys made it back ok. It was totally worth capsizing, because until that point I was having the ride of my life. Even my son was pretty stoked after it was all over.

Is your boat the keeled version? You were keeping it fairly flat in those winds. I realize you were carrying more weight with the family on board, but I was surprised how well you were going without have to hike out as my son and I were. Even though mine is the older, lighter Mod 1, your boat and JG's Mod 3 boat seem faster.

Dave

Hi Dave...

It sounds like you had a good time - and it was good fun while we were out there together...

Definitely the extra weight worked to my advantage - I figure we had about 500# total on board - and yes, we have the centerboard model just like yours. Had it been only my son and myself, I am certain we would have been heeled just as you were. And, I didn't even think about unfurling our jib (!) - the wind was pretty nasty... enough to flip and turtle 2 Flying Scots at the club...

All our boats should be about the same speed... I think what may vary are the sails - your mainsail looked like it had quite a bit of twist when we were on a reach together... I noticed you did lengthen the traveller - did you put knots on either side of the traveller block?

Maybe some weekend we can compare notes - or go sailing under equal conditions - I'll leave my dear wife and girls (my ever-valuable ballast yesterday) at home...

P

The traveler was set up that way when I bought it. It has the recommended knots on both sides of the block, but I think it is set up higher than recommended. I will have to measure that to be sure.

My boom vang is missing a sheave, so it's only a 2:1 purchase, and to make matters worse, it kept un-cleating. (I plan to replace it soon.) That was the main reason for the twist, I think, but in addition, I couldn't pull in the out-haul when we were on reach. I had let it out to get a nice curve in the sail earlier in the day, but when the strong winds hit, I couldn't pull it back in. I don't know if you noticed, but the Sobstad main sail has a large "pocket" at the foot of the sail, which fills on reach, especially when the out-haul isn't pulled tight. With the main full in those winds, the rig was over-powered. I let the main out to try to de-power it and protect us from an accidental gybe. I then realized I couldn't pull it back in. The wind was too strong, so the main pressed up against the shrouds. That's why I did the chicken gybe when I headed back to Comal Park. I couldn't pull in the main to keep it from slamming over during a real gybe. With the winds that high, I was afraid that it would damage the boat or hurt my son and me in the process.

I'd like to try again under better conditions. Perhaps we can get everyone together for an impromptu fleet day. Of course, that might involve some beer at the end of the day, if the park rules allow it.

Dave

Anyone sailing this weekend?

Weather permitting, I'm planning to go to Canyon Lake Sunday or Monday. Anyone else headed out?

JG

I was planning to go Sunday. It looks as if it might be a good day for sailing from 10:00am until 7:00pm. This past week or so has been hectic, so I haven't had a chance to repair the chips in my boat until today. However, if the Marine Tex is done curing tonight, I should be able to make it. Besides, if I have time after sailing, I might go diving for my whisker pole.

Hi Dave and JG - we'll be out there tomorrow (Sunday) after about noon, and again on Monday, weather permitting. Chances are we'll stay in front of the Yacht Club, as we've got some guests with kids, so it'll be a kiddie-ride day... Hope to see you there... Peter

Sorry, but I couldn't make it out guys. After I fixed the chips in the bow from my last outing, I got ambitious and started fixing some cracks up on the mid-deck near the teak. When I drilled out the cracks to stop them from running more, I found out that some of the wood underneath the fiberglass was rotten and wet. It is going to be a fairly major effort to repair because from the looks of the wood, this has been a problem for some time. However, I've done similar work before. With the right materials, I should have it ready to go in a week or so.

Dave

Sorry I didn't see you out there - I went on Sunday for a little while, but the clevis pin on one of my stays came out while sailing - luckily it was on the lee side, otherwise my mast would have come crashing down in the water... I managed to get back to the club, but it [the mast] came down anyway, right when I was about to attach the replacement pin... little epoxy yesterday, new screws and we're ready to go again... Will be in touch later, see about next weekend... Have a good week.

Time to come out of hybernation

Hi guys,

It's warming up and it's about time to get back onto the water. The Texas Centerboard Circuit has already started holding events, and the offical races start April 23rd.

For those not familiar with The Texas Centerboard Circuit, here is a little info:
The Texas Centerboard Circuit is designed to give all Portsmouth Centerboard Dinghy Classes that don't have active fleets (the rest of us stepchildren) a chance to participate in a series of races throughout Texas. This season we raced 7 regattas, scored 5 (two outs), and averaged around 7 boats per regatta. It was a great year for sailing and, as usual, an entertaining time hanging out with a bunch of fun & friendly people.

If you have a centerboard boat, and you want to race, the TCC is a great circuit. You get to go to different lakes and experience the hospitality of several yacht clubs across Texas. The winner this year wasn't decided until the last regatta!

Since we don't have a fleet for the Capri 14.2 in Texas, I'm using The Texas Centerboard Circuit as a surrogate until we have an active fleet of our own. (hint, hint)

Anyway, I've been working on my boat on and off over the winter to restore it to nearly new condition, I'm ready to go sailing. I hope to see some other Capris on the water again this year.

Dave

Back