Telltales, Leach Streamers and Wind Indicators- Yea or Nay?

Zoey

Hello,
I'm toying the idea of using telltales, Leach Streamers and a wind indicator, but I don't what works best; where to place; best model/style to use. I know there are some ideas in the Sunfish Bible, but I intereted in hearing from other Sunfishers what they prefer and why. So who uses Telltales, Leach Streamers and Wind Indicators?
Thanks,
Zoey

I followed the instructions in the tips and tricks "sunfish tuning guide" section on the class website for location of telltales. I placed 2 sets. They seem fine in that location. I'd recommend that.

As for a wind indicator, I used one given to me by Rich Chapman (thanks Rich!) at a local regatta and it was made out of a coathanger with some wind ticks taped on it. Too bad it didn't work in no air (haha). It is V shaped and mounted with tape to the upper boom just a few feet up from the apex. It worked fine and surely cost nothing but the time to make it.

Tim

I've tried just about everything in the way of tell tales and wind indicators over the years.
As for tell tales, The two sets I placed according to the Sunfish article by Scott Kyle years ago work the best.
As for wind indicators it's either the feathermate IIRC originally designed by "Oddie" or else just a bent up coat hanger V duct taped to the upper spar and I keep a old cassette tape in my storage bag to make new tell tale flies when the old tapes break off. It's not as removeable as the feathermate but it folds up against the spar for travel.

I like to use recording tape on a coat hanger. It is better than feathers or burgees or plastic vanes - because when it hangs straight down you KNOW there's no wind. All the other systems point in some direction and give you the frustrating illusion that there actually is some wind. This can lead to you being seriously late in deciding to abandon the Wedneday night race and not winning the race to be first in the bar.

Thanks for the suggestion; my first rule, as well, is not to be late to the bar. By the way, what are the eligibility requirements to become an "Old Geezer?"

Frank

You ask "what are the eligibility requirements to be an old geezer?"

1. You remember the days when everyone raced with colored sails and didn't know any better.

2. Ditto for wooden daggerboards.

3. You actually liked the wooden dagerboards because you had this secret method of building up the thickness that may or may not have been legal but it sure worked.

4. You still have 3 wooden daggerboards in your basement.

5 You remember sailing in a wonderful event called the Connecticut Senior Olympics that sadly is no more.

6. You get a thrill when you beat some kid under 40.

7. You still use the "mast abeam" rule.

8. You never saw the point of this new-fangled Jens rig and can't be bothered to learn how to rig one.

9. You use one of those sailing watches with the big digits because you can't read the little ones without your reading glasses.

10. You can't remember the 10th rule though you're sure there is one.

Since I am new to Sunfishes and Sunfish racing (I have twin 15 year olds who talked me into this) my answers are as follows:

Requirements 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, and 9: no experience.
Requirement 4: we have five wooden daggerboards and no plastic ones
Requirement 6: I get a thrill when I don't tip over, much less beat anyone!
Requirement 10: I buy the beer when I win my first race.

Question: how many sunfish are too many? We have three.

Frank

You ask how many Sunfish are too many...

Well, if you and your two kids sail, then three is only just enough.

I know of an old geezer has one boat for practice and one boat for regattas and one boat for their kid that left home 10 years ago and another one because there was a great deal on a new boat but it's a shame to sail such a shiny new boat and one that someone abandoned at the lake and he's meaning to fix it up and sell it but he never get's round to it and one in case anyone wants to borrow a boat and one that he keeps on the front lawn just to annoy the neighbors and one that maybe one day his wife that hates sailing might use and one that he can't remember why he has it...

Now THAT's too many.

So, I can still buy a few more and be OK. Spares are always important. One or two extras for light wind, and one or two for 30 mph wind.

Thank you.

Back