Telltale Placement

Discussion in 'Sunfish Talk' started by squash, Sep 12, 2010.

1. squash

squash Member

I am rigging up a new sail, and I want to place the telltales correctly.

A very good sailor at a large regatta told me that the only place that matters on a Sunfish is near the top of the sail right above the fish, but I see people with them all over the place.

The winner of the regatta, a Worlds qualifier, used no wind indicators at all (boat, sail, or spars).

What to do?

Thanks in advance.
  2. Wayne

Wayne Member Emeritus

As you've observed, much depends on your understanding of airflow over the sail and the visual feedback you consider useful. Here are a couple of past discussions on the topic...

http://www.sunfishforum.com/showthread.php?t=29675&highlight=telltales

http://www.sunfishforum.com/showthread.php?t=33702&highlight=telltales

3. Light and Variable Winds

Light and Variable Winds Active Member

[​IMG]

The green line is where the previous owner placed two tell-tales on my racing sail.

The lower tell-tale is just above eye level—only useful on starboard tack—where it "suggests" that I have the sail set correctly. (Confirmed by the upper tell-tale.)

In use, the upper tell-tale appears to be a worm that "the Sunfish" is chasing! :p

The upper tell-tale always seems to be right on target.

As a strictly recreational sailor, I found that once the sail is set correctly, an interesting thing happens: Even when having one's eyes closed for a minute, the Sunfish wants to track on-course correctly! :cool:
  4. moms hooked

moms hooked New Member

I set up a new sail this spring. I noted the telltale placement on all the local racing sails (see diagram)--pretty interesting to see the similarities and differences. I went with the locations shown by the blue squares. The lower one is right at eye level, but has a lot of mast interference, so is not that useful. I mounted a wind indicator on my upper boom right at eye level and it works pretty well. My upper telltale is a little better, but still has mast interference.

If I ever get another new sail I will probably try the set up similar to what "Light and Variable Winds" has.

Attached Files: