Surprise

Discussion in 'Sailing Talk' started by imported_Richard, Jun 14, 2006.

1. imported_Richard

imported_Richard New Member

Good Afternoon:
    This is Richard, I haven't been on for proabably a year. I rescue and restore old small sailboats for the pure pleasure of working on them and of seeing them back on the water where they belong bringing new pleasure to their owners and to me. I sell them, sail them, give them away as it suits me. I admit to going overboard a bit having A sunfish on a small private lake, another Sunfish, a Puffer( 12 ' boat) and my old and best pal my Aquacat 14' in the driveway. All finished.

Now, however I may have over reached myself. I just picked up 14' boat described to me as a SURPRISE. The Sail has an exclamation point on it ( no idea if it is original)..THe ID is
    NPT C752S M 80K. Could the NPT be Newport? Mast is 20' and Boom 9'. Appears to carry about 95 sq. ft of sail.

Hull has extensive damage on the bottom abaft the port beam from being grounded in a storm. Trim lines , I want to put this gracious girl back on the water, preferably with me in her.

Sound familiar to anybody? As I recall this list has some of the most knowledgeble and helpful sailors I've run across. Any help appreciated.

BTW, will be 74 on Monday stll pushing canvas every chance I get..

Richard in Richmond, Va.

2. DanB

DanB Crabber

Richard -

The Coast Guard boat manufacturer directory has this info --

NPT -- LOCKLEY NEWPORT BOATS, GLOUCESTER VA
    C752S -- factory serial number
    M 80 -- 1980
    K -- made in June

That's all I can tell you.

3. imported_Richard

Dan:
    Many thanks for the info. The owner told me that he thought that it had been made down in Gloucester but had no more information. Glouscester is at the mouth of the James not too far from Richmond. I'll Google it and see what i come up with. more curiousity than anything else. She has nice lines. A completely fabricated rudder so I will try to trace an original. Who knows, I might find an old timer down in Glouscester to talk to. Any way, Thanks again. I'll dry her out for the next little while then move her into the shop.

Richard

4. KevinF

KevinF New Member

Aquacat 14 help. I have just purchased a used 1982 aquacat 14 and need help on how everything goes together on this sailboat . How to raise the mast ?

5. imported_Richard

Kevin;
    American Sail is still making Aquacats. I have talked with them and have ordered parts and manuals in the past. They are extremely helpful. The address is:

7350 Pepperdam Ave.
    Pepperdam Industrial Park
    Charleston, So. Car.29418
    Phone (803) 552 8548

Great fun! My 100 pound Shepherd sails with me. We both love the boat. Good luck.

Richard and GiGi

6. 1Spunky1

1Spunky1 New Member

Hi Richard. I came across this site because I was looking for a picture of a boat similar to mine, as I am going to sell it. I have pictures of the boat in the water, but I want one on the land. But, I'd like to help you out if I can.

It is a Lockley-Newport Surprise. The company is now out of business.

Specifications of your boat (and mine) are as follows:
    Length 14' 7"
    Beam 5'3"
    Hull Draft 4"
    Sail Area 110 Sq. Ft.
    Mast Lenght 19'7"
    Ballast 50#
    Hull Weight 260#
    Rigged Weight 360#

It has lots of room - seating up to 5 people. It is lightweight, easy to tow, launch, set up, and sail. It is fast. Ideal for learning to sail.

I am selling it because we have 2 Snarks for the kids to sail, and I'd like to get a motorboat.

I have no idea how much to sell it for. Any suggestions? It is in good shape. The hull has very little wrong with it, except for minor damage which I patched from stones when beached, and it's a bit faded. It's yellow. Sails are in fairly good shape for their age. Yes, there's an exclamation point on the mainsail.

I had found a website at one point with rigging instructions. I have a copy if you would like it, I could scan and e-mail to you.

Hope this all helps, feel free to e-mail me @ 1Spunky1@comcast.net. Please put something about sailboat in the subject line.

Barb

7. desmo2v

desmo2v New Member

Richard, I too have a Surprise that i'm working on. my question to you is do you have the orignal tiller/rudder the one I have looks like a make shift one. A picture would do. I have been working on mine for a few months.

8. 1Spunky1

1Spunky1 New Member

I also have the sails, rigging, centerboard, rudder etc. for a lockley/newport 17.
    Barb

9. bakers452

bakers452 New Member

Hello Everyone,

My name is Barry and reside in Columbus Oh.
    I stumbled onto this site while researching 5o5's.

I also have a Surprise !.
    It's a 1978 which we purchased in 1980.
    It was sailed quite often between 1980 and 1982 but was retired due to time restraints as the family grew.
    The hull as well as the mast,rigging,centerboard,rudder,tiller,boom,sheets,mainsail and jib are original and in excellent condition. She's been stored in the garage for 24 years.
    The boat is a blast to sail and provided the wife and I many fun evenings on the water.
    Now that the kids are grown we have considered revisiting the sport.
    I do have the orginal "Newport Surprise Rigging and Handling Instructions" along with the orginal brochure. I will scan to PDF if anyone is interrested.

10. 1Spunky1

1Spunky1 New Member

Yes, please send one to me. THANKS!

11. supercub

supercub Member

Barry,

Contact Wayne C. (moderator) on the Yahoo Sunfish Sailor about the documentation and any pictures you may have or can take. He has set up a page for "Clone" fish and anything you have will help others out there setting up, rigging and obtaining or replicating parts. Thanks

12. JoeFish

JoeFish New Member

Thanks for the posting Barry! I was given an 81 Surprise as an early Christmas present (how appropriate). It was part of an estate auction and needs a little bit of work (mostly cosmetic). I would be interested in a copy of that PDF as well. I emailed you with the email address where you can send it. Thanks in Advance

13. Sofbreeze

Sofbreeze New Member

Hi, My name is Don Cox and I, too have a Surprise. I would like very much to have a copy of the rigging and handeling instructions you mentioned. Pls send to Sofbreeze@aol.com. Thanks.

14. djn

djn New Member

Hi, My name is Dennis Nagle and I just bought a Surprise for my sisters triplets....they will be 10 in two weeks.....SURPRISE!!! I would like a copy of the handbook as well. I don't have any paperwork for the boat so, for the most part, am shooting in the dark. My email is djnagle@comcast.net. Thanks so much....this will truely help.

15. Clator

Clator New Member

I have a line on a Surprise that I may be checking out in a couple of days. The beam width will just b-a-r-e-l-y fit into my storage area, and I was curious if a trailer with a max width of LESS than the beam width will support the boat in a road-worthy fashion?

Anybody have ideas on where to look for used trailers in the Prince William/Fairfax/Stafford areas of Virginia? What kind of cost might I be getting into with a trailer for a boat like this.

Many thanks!

16. rybr

rybr New Member

Thanks, I just acquired two Aquacats and had no idea where to get help in getting parts or any manuals for the boats. I will contact the company on Monday.
    Thanks again,
    Tim

17. frankhennessy

frankhennessy New Member

Hi,
    I have a 1980 Newport Surprise. Could you send me a copy of the manual and brochure if it isn't too much trouble? My e-mail is frankh@dcne.com.

Thank-you!
    Frank

18. imported_surprise

imported_surprise New Member

Today I bought a used Surprise and would very much appreciate your PDF for the boat. Please send to propwasher@comcast.net Thanks very much!

19. columbia

columbia New Member

I would like a copy or your pdf for the Surprise. Please send it to dschedeler@yahoo.com.

Thanks,
    Doug

20. columbia

columbia New Member

Has anyone gotten the pdf file of rigging and handling instructions for the Surprise? If so, could you please forward me a copy. Thanks, dschedeler@yahoo.com.