Super sunfish

224Laker

I acquired a small sailboat and would like to sell/give it away. My concern is that the hull is clearly a Mini fish II and the rigging is for a Super fish...I know they work together, as several of my siblings have used the boat over the last 15 years, but as I make it available for sale, should I do it as a complete sailboat or 2 separate things? Would it have been sold this way or did someone (my Dad possibly) pair these? The local sailing club looked at it, but due the Superfish rigging , wasn't interested. Thanks for any insight offered!

This is an interesting mix. I have seen plenty of super Sunfish, but never a mini fish. I find it interesting, I'm sure someone else will too.

Where are you located? I just aquired a minifish 2 (cat rigged) but its missing the lower mast... thinking about finding a super sunfish lower (or entire mast) but wasn't sure if the dimensions were the same... does it look like your minifish required any deck mods to take the superfish mast?

Where are you located? I just aquired a minifish 2 (cat rigged) but its missing the lower mast... thinking about finding a super sunfish lower (or entire mast) but wasn't sure if the dimensions were the same... does it look like your minifish required any deck mods to take the superfish mast?

Sunfish and Minis have the same size deck opening. Not sure if one is deeper than the other.

I have owned several Force 5s and two Sunfish with the Super Sunfish (Marconi not lateen) rig. The rigs are very similar but the mast for the Force 5 is larger and would not fit in the Sunfish mast hole, and the Force 5 sail is quite a bit larger and would probably overpower a Sunfish hull in any decent wind. So the rigs are similar but not interchangeable.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

Super Sunfish has a sail area of 65 sq ft (less than the standard Sunfish) and the Force 5 has a sail area of 90 sq ft. F5 mast diameter is 2.50", SSF is 2.25" diameter. Set up was similar however SSF came with a halyard so you could drop the sail some, maybe half way before the sail bunched up too much at the mast.

Back