Super Sunfish for Sale in VA

Discussion in 'Sunfish For Sale' started by Jack, Dec 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jack

Jack Member

City:
    Norfolk
    State:
    VA
    Cost:
    Best offer
    Hello, I am selling a Super Sunfish. Regrettably, the SS sail and mast are missing. Sorry if the headline is misleading, I wasn't sure exactly how to classify this boat. It appears to have once ben a complete Super Sunfish, but the guy I got it from didn't have the rest of the gear. The standard Sunfish rig is complete. I am open to selling the adjustable mainsheet and SS boom separately, but would prefer to sell the boat complete. There is a link to the CL ad below. The posted price is very negotiable. Thank you.

https://norfolk.craigslist.org/boa/4787286977.html

Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
  2. Jack

Jack Member

Delivery to points between Norfolk, VA and Marblehead, MA is a possibility. Also, I may heading across NC after Xmas.

3. sailcraftri

sailcraftri Well-Known Member

It looks like someone converted an older Sunfish as the SSF came out after the new style rudders (1974).

4. Jack

Jack Member

I was thinking the same thing, but I read that the SSF used the old style rudder at first, because it has a smaller transom that the standard boat(?). I have not put this one next to a standard boat to compare. This boat is kind of a mystery.

5. sailcraftri

sailcraftri Well-Known Member

In the 1960s, a member of the New Canaan, Conn. Sunfish Fleet, John Black Lee, independently experimented with a conventional sail rig for the Sunfish. He developed a high-aspect ratio sail that worked on the Sunfish hull and christened his design the Formula S. The high aspect ratio sail plan has better upwind performance characteristics over the lateen sail, changing the boat’s handling to point more like other Bermuda rig sailboats in its size. With this configuration, complexity of sail control is elevated by the addition of dynamic outhaul, downhaul, and mainsheet traveller lines.

Lee's concept didn’t interest Alcort, Inc. as a production model so he refit conversion boats independently and sparked organization of Formula S fleets. A few years after their 1969 purchase of Alcort, Inc., AMF revisited the idea of a high aspect ratio rig for the Sunfish. AMF did not choose to adopt Lee’s Formula S design, they did however, develop their own variation calling it the Super Sunfish. The existing Formula S fleet eventually became assimilated into the ranks of AMF Super Sunfish fleets.

The Super Sunfish was available from 1974 to 1984. AMF marketed this more conventional sail plan as a performance version of the Sunfish in an attempt to compete with, among others, the newly emerging Laser. Portsmouth handicap numbers, however, place the Laser slightly faster. With its hard chine hull, the Super Sunfish is the more stable boat so it's a tradeoff between the two designs.

The Super Sunfish was offered as a complete package and as a kit to retrofit existing lateen rigged Sunfish. The literature points out the sail systems can be easily swapped on a single Sunfish hull to accommodate different sailors' preferences.

6. beldar boathead

beldar boathead Well-Known Member

Wood Sunfish have a smaller transom than glass Sunfish, but all glass Sunfihs have the same transom. Sailfish also had smaller transoms and therefore never got the new style rudder - I assume there was not enough Sailfish volume by 1972 to justify the changeover.

7. Jack

Jack Member

I had some interest before the holidays, but nobody bought her. This boat is still for sale. Thank you.

8. Trikester

Trikester New Member

Your cl posting has expired. How much are you asking for it?

9. Jack

Jack Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.