Sunfish Worlds Start Today

Discussion in 'Sunfish Talk' started by THE COOKIE PIMP, May 21, 2005.

1. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Member

Perhaps because Martinique is one of the 6 countries that actually have Sunfish class associations larger than the minimum requirement of 20 members. It's not hard to get to if you already live there. Perhaps all the poor SOBs on Martinique were complaining whenever we held the Worlds in the USA because the USA is "so remotely accessible"?

By the way, is Martinique really a country at all? I heard somewhere that all the French Caribbean islands are legally "departements" of France. Just as Alaska is a state of the USA, not an independent nation. Did you notice that in the Worlds results all the Martinique locals have their country listed as France? So was the 2005 Worlds really held in a European country?

And on another note. An Argentinian won the Worlds but Argentina doesn't have a Sunfiish class association?? I thought the ISCA rules said that you had to have a NSCA in order to send sailors to the Worlds??

2. samfish

samfish New Member

Good note on the Argentina issue. I guess rules are meant to be bent.

Sunfish sailing is big in the world, but sunfish racing is not. That is why the class should see where those racers are, and prepare world championships around them. If the US has most of the racers, then do most worlds in the US. This should be done until we get more racers from other countries, if we ever do. Its simple as that.

Also, as you stated, if the Sunfish isnt a big competitive class, worlds should not take so long to do. A few days is good.

Maybe the sunfish racing is destined to be this kind of racing. More laidback and relaxed than most others. You guys complain that laser has a lot of people, but try to win a regional or a midwinter, its way more difficult than in Sunfish. Sunfish will always attract people who are tired of practicing lots of hours, going to the gym everyday, etc.

3. mike4947

mike4947 Member

Geezer, SHHHHHHH, don't talk like that. Remember Gaum is a territory of the US and technically in the western region. I certainly don't want to pay for that World's. LOL
    Talking to class officers over the years a lot of the problems are actually finding a yatch club that's willing to hold a World's.

4. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Member

I see your point. But I guess the powers-that-be have adopted the opposite approach. If you have some Caribbean or South American country with, let's say, 20 Sunfish sailors (not counting dead grandmothers) and the potential for more, then running the Worlds there is an opportunity to grow the class in that country. Just imagine - the buzz in the local sailing community encouraging people to try out the Sunfish, lots of free publicity in the local press and TV, and 50 to 100 Sunfish boats delivered to the country by Vanguard potentially for sale in that country (or other nearby countries).

5. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Member

Gaum ?? Geeze - where's that? But I understand the point about finding a host for the Worlds. If you have some club in a tempting location that wants to run a Worlds it's understandable that you'd go for it. Even if they do sail yatches.

Hey - how about a worlds in Hawaii? Who's up for that?

6. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Member

WHAT ?? You mean those nice young guys and gals that sail Lasers at my club are going to the gym every day? And - horror of horrors -practicing?

Next thing you will be saying that sailing is a sport.