News Sunfish Worlds in Charleston, SC

Those low country meatheads in Charleston are slower putting up results than Dennis Hastert reigning in a pedophile. Tuesday night and no results! Jack Kennedy moved a whole army to Oxford faster than that.

Easy now. Go easy on them.

You may get drafted to do a better job.

Running isn't easy these days the web makes sure of it. 1,800 reg users on this forum 100 of wich may be at the "WORLDS"

I read yesterday that one of the sailors was found dead in their sunfish during the regatta. Anybody know if it was a heart attack/drowning or what?
Cathy

From the Web Site, Tuesday, Oct 3rd: "The first contest witnessed a tragic incident at the start. David Thompson, a 55-year-old racer from Bridgton, Maine, fell into the water just seconds after the starting gun, and floated face down. It’s still not clear whether Thompson suffered a heart attack, but his close friend and fellow Sunfish racer, Dave Stewart, said later that Thompson was taking medication for a number of ailments. Almost immediately, fellow competitor Andres Cano-Alva of Peru jumped off his Sunfish and into the water to assist, as did a volunteer from one of the nearby judges’ boats. Thompson was eventually transferred to a U.S Coast Guard boat and sped to shore where he was met by a team of paramedics and taken to East Cooper Hospital. Unfortunately, the medical professionals were unable to resuscitate him. A brief memorial was held for him that evening, and the competitors observed a moment of silence in his honor."

Thursday's local newspaper reported that the cause of death was from natural causes.

Update: As of this evening, Wednesday ,October 18th...New Photos have been added to the gallery. I will continue to post more photos as I get them. Anyone with worlds photos that are willing to share, please email them to me at [email protected]

From the Web Site, Tuesday, Oct 3rd: "The first contest witnessed a tragic incident at the start. David Thompson, a 55-year-old racer from Bridgton, Maine, fell into the water just seconds after the starting gun, and floated face down. It’s still not clear whether Thompson suffered a heart attack, but his close friend and fellow Sunfish racer, Dave Stewart, said later that Thompson was taking medication for a number of ailments. Almost immediately, fellow competitor Andres Cano-Alva of Peru jumped off his Sunfish and into the water to assist, as did a volunteer from one of the nearby judges’ boats. Thompson was eventually transferred to a U.S Coast Guard boat and sped to shore where he was met by a team of paramedics and taken to East Cooper Hospital. Unfortunately, the medical professionals were unable to resuscitate him. A brief memorial was held for him that evening, and the competitors observed a moment of silence in his honor."

Thursday's local newspaper reported that the cause of death was from natural causes.

I am David Stuart, and was wondering if anyone in the Club down there has any Photos or videos of the 2006 Worlds. I have grate memories of a well Run Sailing Event. I want to express my belated gratitude for your post about my best friend David Thompson.

Back