Sunfish US Masters were this weekend

I just returned from the US Masters held at the Rochester Kazoo Club. I don't know why a sailing club would be called a Kazoo Club, but I guess they started out as a Kazoo Club and switched to sailing later. I also don't know why their initials are RCC and not RKZ. Maybe they spell Kazoo Cazoo in Rochester.

Anyway, the club did a fantastic job - great hospitality and 5 and a half great races in challenging conditions. On Saturday, the wind was out of the WSW, and sometimes the SSW, with big puffs and huge lifts rolling in from the right or the left, or sometimes both at once. Most of the top sailors ended the day with two decent scores and then a 14 or 16 or 17. There were only three races as the wind died and thunderstorms threatened.

On Sunday, the wind was out of the west again, and if the shift you were in did not suit you, you could just wait a while and a different one would come through and you'd be looking great. The last race was a 7 leg windward leeward, but on the third weather leg the wind went right 90 degrees, and several people who were in the twenties starting the leg were surprised to round the windward mark in the top 5 without even needing to tack!! Conversely, several people in the top 10 were surprised to find themselves suddenly in the twenties. It was clearly advantageous to be either in the top 3 or else the bottom 20 or so starting the third "weather" leg.

Doug Kaukeinen won with 4 firsts, and 6th or something, and a 14 as his throwout. Jim Gindling, Eric Gesner, Brian McGinnis and Rich Chapman were in the top 5. I know Rich was second but I can't recall the order of the others.

I would be remiss if I did not mention the many flagrant rules violations that occurred. The club gave out a very nice memento of the regatta to all sailors. Perhaps next year the host club should give out rulebooks. Apparently the Masters have either forgotten the rules or never knew them in the first place. Some sailors did their 720s, sometimes just because they knew they were wrong, but others flaunted the rules.

Once again, the Rochester Canoe Club did a very nice job and I recommend sailing there if you can.

Back