Sunfish to Super Sunfish?

Discussion in 'Sunfish Talk' started by turtlescope, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Wayne

Wayne Member Emeritus

IMHO all that traveler get up was more show than function, like some sort of large yacht training simulator. My thought on emmulating that nowadays would be to mount a deck track along the cockpit lip rather than cluttering the cockpit space itself. I'll bet there's a self-tacking jib track out there for a ~16' - 20' boat that would be just the ticket.

If I were rigging a SuperFish today I believe I'd go for 3:1 mid-boom sheeting on a ratchet block like we are putting on the lateen rig these days. That and a standard vang would make a simple and efficient setup.

I think you are right, the "other sail" is from a Formula S.

2. cjobara

cjobara New Member

I am the one with the SSF rig and sail for sale. I actually have two rigs and three sails. I plan to rig my SF with one and sell the others. The RWB sail is what was the Formula S and the only difference is that you slide the sail on the mast just like a Laser. The other (SSF) uses a halyard but requires a bunched up sail on the lower spar as there is no zipper like the Zuma uses.

By the way, the Zuma mast diameter is 2.5" and will not fit into a SF. The SSF mast is the same 2.25" dia. as the regular SF rig.

I am not going to rig a traveler as I still want to use the lateen rig. I plan to add a boom bail at the back of the SSF boom and rig a mainsheet similar to the laser with a two loop bridle. The only thing I have to add are the four cleats for the p&s outhaul and cunningham controls.

Craig