sunfish serial number/age

sosopix

wondering if anyone here can help me determine the age of my sunfish and/or locate the serial number.
The title says it is a 1973 AMF Alcort Sunfish.
unfortunately, the number on the title seems to be a state tax commision number, (OTCF259840 - on the title, not actually anywhere on the boat) not a number like anything listed in the FAQ section. I did a title search and that number is listed as far back as 1990. Unfortunatley, doesn't look like I can search any further than that.
The boat has "AMF Sunfish Alcort Division" decals on either side near the mast. It has a storage compartment, new style rudder, metal bailer, and an "extra" drainage port on the stern, which was probably added on later.
I can't find an actual serial number anywhere. There is nothing on the transom, and it doesn't look like anything has been removed or glassed over.
There is a "clean" square at the front of the cockpit where it looks like there used to be a decal of some sort.
any ideas?
thanks

Clean spot was where the metal tag with serial number was. Date on title is probably accurate, serial number is gone forever.

01865-14099.........1973

help me determine the age of my sunfish.

The title says it is a 1973 AMF Alcort Sunfish.

the number on the title seems to be a state tax commision number, (OTCF259840)

OTC = OTTER CRAFT INC., a canoe manufacturer from Grants Pass, OR ???

Oh, I forgot to add, white boat with red diagonal stripe on front deck, no stripe on back deck.

Alcort Sunfish with a white deck and red bow stripe only first appeared around 1965

Clean spot was where the metal tag with serial number was. Date on title is probably accurate, serial number is gone forever.

01865-14099.........1973

I’m seeing in the serial number table, 01865-14099 = ~1965

Early 1973 boats had the older style number plate with the serial number stamped on, beginning with 103001 –
Later 1973 boats had the USCG Hull ID stamped in the upper right of the transom in this format…
AMF12345M73A

AMF = Manufacturer
12345 = mfg number ( coding unknown )
M = USCG id style identifier
73 = Model Year
A = Month built

Sounds like your boat is 1971 to mid-1973.

http://kb.sunfishforum.com/images/history/timeline.pdf

The serial number would have been on a 1-1/2 x 1-1/2" metal tag in the "V" of the splashguard or possibly the front wall of the foot well.

It also sounds like the title has an incorrect number if the one you gave is listed as the serial number or Hull ID.

Given that you have a storage compartment and a metal bailer, that points to 1971. If your rudder hardware is bronze that would be almost definite. In those days it is possible a metal bailer was istalled as a replacement for a broken plastic (1972) one. No doubt stocks of the metal bailers were on dealer shelves for awhile after the switch to plastic.

thanks for all the input.
the number, OTCF259840, is either a made-up number, or a some variation of the original number.
OTC would be Oklahoma Tax Commission, don't know where the F or the numbers came from.
Rudder hardware is either stainless or aluminum, not brass.
The size of the "clean spot" at front of cockpit is 5" x 5" with one small hole near the top. I think if it had held a metal plate, it would have two holes. It looks more like it is missing a decal.
I keep looking at the timeline pdf and it seems it doesn't seem to fit into any one year.
I guess it really doesn't matter, it is what it is, but I am getting set to do some repair work on it, and I'm hoping it isn't a 71 or 72, it sounds like those boats wouldn't be worth fixing.
thanks again,
Sue

OTCF259840, is either a made-up number, Oklahoma Tax Commission
  • Rudder hardware is either stainless or aluminum
  • The size of the "clean spot" at front of cockpit is 5" x 5"
  • one small hole near the top.
  • I think if it had held a metal plate, it would have two holes.
  • It looks more like it is missing a decal.
  • I keep looking at the timeline pdf and it seems it doesn't seem to fit into any one year.
  • I'm hoping it isn't a 71 or 72
The rudder hardware would be both aluminum and stainless.
The 5"x 5" spot was a label.
The hole is a vent so the hull doesn't pop a seam when it's sitting in the sun.
The metal serial number plate was probably one with adhesive backing ... they did that for a couple of years. And it was most likely in the "V"of the splash guard.
With your confirmation of the rudder hardware, everything is now pointing pretty solidly to a 1972 or early 1973, but there's nothing wrong with those boats if they've been cared for.

First key point to check... What's the hull weigh?

One footnote regarding Hull I.D. numbers on the transom: I have seen several early (1972 on) AMF Sunfish hulls that had the Hull I.D. number on a glued-on, aluminum plate on the transom that was prone to come off if you messed with it even a little. The engraved numbers are much better as they tend to survive and make it easier to ID the hull, important in some states where Sunfish have to be titled or at least registered and a H.I.N or serial number has to be provided.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

Yes, we have to title them here, and register them every year - which I guess is why they came up with a tax commission number - maybe I should just attach that number to the hull somewhere.
thanks,
Sue

When NJ decided to register small boats some did not have hull ids so the DMV assigned them numbers. That's what happened to yours I guess. You don't need the id on the boat, just the registration sticker you get every year and the registration numbers. In NJ you follow the DMV requirements of where to place the sticker and numbers.

Fred

Wayne,
hull weight, I don't know. Right now it's upside down with two inspection ports cut, light bulb and fan, drying out. Been taking on water for the two season's I've had it - time to fix it. Given the condition, I don't think it was well taken care of.
Sue

Wayne,
hull weight, I don't know. Right now it's upside down with two inspection ports cut, light bulb and fan, drying out. Been taking on water for the two season's I've had it - time to fix it. Given the condition, I don't think it was well taken care of.

Ah, I kinda wondered if that transom drainplug was someone's quick band-aid to a leak problem they were reluctant to expend the effort to fix.

When you get the hull dry give it a leak test. The guideline is here in the Knowledge Base at the top of the page . . .

Sunfish KB & FAQ
Knowledge Base​
Repairs and Upgrades​
How to dry out a wet hull [PDF]
...and
Air Leak Test​

Back