Sunfish mast

Discussion in 'Sunfish Talk' started by alberto marin, Jul 9, 2016.

1. Webfoot1

Webfoot1 Active Member

IMG_1288.JPG Made a first attempt at using SCH 40 for a mast. Cost $9.00 and comes in 10 foot length. The good news is the mast
    cap fits nicely, not so good new is it's really bendy without something inside to stiffen it up. It's back to the home improvement store to scout out Componet X to insert in the tube. I could do SCH 80 but SCH 40 is already heavy. Gotta find something $25 dollars or less or the project does not make sense.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
  2. fhhuber

fhhuber Member

Oak or Ash "dowel" that slip fits in the PVC would do it (might as well just use an oak or ash mast)

3. Webfoot1

Webfoot1 Active Member

So close but yet so far... A 2 inch oak mast is going to be one heavy son-of-a-gun.
    I'm thinking about ripping 10 foot strips of wood and inserting a "+" shaped internal cross bracing.
    As you can see, I like 550 para-chord. If all else fails I'll rig some mast stays from 550 without
    making any modifications to the hull.

4. Light and Variable Winds

Light and Variable Winds Well-Known Member

How are you going to attach chain-plates without making any modifications to the hull? :confused:

Even 2" PVC will take a bend (and take a "set") when left in the sun or a hot car. :oops: A steady approach to modifications would mean you could return the 2" PVC to Lowes. :)

A 10' spar "orphan" (and structural foam) would be my next step. The risk of a permanent bend would be much reduced. Two shorter "orphans" could be joined (and more easily shipped from Cazenovia, NY) ;) to make a 10' section.

Alternatively, an engineer-friend says an available Styrofoam "noodle" can be covered with epoxied fiberglass cloth. :cool: Stronger and lighter? :)

5. fhhuber

fhhuber Member

The pool noodles are oversize for the mast step of the Sunfish.... then add thickness of fiberglass needed to make it rigid and strong enough for the task.
    By the time the home manufactured fiberglass coated pool noodle is strong enough you might think the oak inserted PVC is light.

6. Webfoot1

Webfoot1 Active Member

Yep, I'm already concerned about the weight as the tube stands empty. Fiberglass crossed my
    mind but that kind of blows my objective of keeping it cheep. I might try two strips of fiberglass
    running up each outside of the tube to see how much stiffness it adds. Than along with internal
    strips of wood might be just enough. No chain-plates as that removes the "temporary" from the solution.
    Maybe a couple c-clamps or something adhoc like that.

7. Light and Variable Winds

Styrofoam comes in a standard 2" round, straight, form. (Not a polyethylene pool noodle—too fat, and to which—fiberglass wouldn't stick). :confused:

Without some way of anchoring the fiberglass to PVC, I don't think the epoxy/fiberglass would stay attached for very long. :(

(But you could still return the PVC to Lowes for a refund). ;)

8. Light and Variable Winds

Here's a feller who created his own fiberglass mast-step—along with some good ideas :cool: whilst working with epoxy:
    Make fiberglass mast sleeve for unstayed mast

Can creating a mast be far behind? :)

[​IMG]

9. Light and Variable Winds

Maybe you've seen the ads that show an aluminum boat cut in half, repaired with G/flex, and motoring around quite happily afterwards. :)

:eek: G/flex adheres to PVC:

WEST SYSTEM | Specialty Epoxies - G/flex

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  10. Alan S. Glos

Alan S. Glos Active Member

Beldar,

As I am guessing you know, some of the original wood Sailfish had a hybrid mast, half aluminum and half wood (Sitka spruce, I think.) See photo.

Alan Glos

Attached Files:

11. mixmkr

mixmkr Active Member

Why can't you fashion something that fits the mast hole ONLY, and then use whatever extending out of that....and it can be whatever diameter you desire? IOW a tapered mast base. (or a series of "collars" to transition from what's in the hole to the actual standing part of the spar. Realizing then that affects the gooseneck and other stuff possibly. But a "collar" , like used for the mast base, could be fashioned for the gooseneck to get to the desired diameter.

The other option is to do away with the mast step completely and make a regular mast step, even if it just slides into the hole or not...(like a dowel inserted with the mast step secured to the top of the dowel .or is attached across the top of it.. Something like a typical dingy mast base that might use a pin, etc. With a "deck step' you'd need some sort of standing rigging then of course. But the first option mentioned shouldn't be that difficult. Make a sleeve for the mast hole that accepts whatever spar you want to use, that takes the slop out things.

12. Shoebox

Shoebox New Member

Hi guys,
    I've been snooping and learning in this forum since last summer but never posted.
    I was just wondering if any one has tried two-piece mast and spars? Seems like shipping is the big problem here with the new stuff because of the lengths.

13. Webfoot1

Webfoot1 Active Member

Check Ebay, there is a mast for sail in Lakeville, Pennsylvania.

14. Light and Variable Winds

Welcome to the Forum! :)

Shipping IS a big deal. :eek: The shipping costs for a new mast by truck puts it out of the picture.

I tried to peddle my 2-piece mast (here) for only $45, but the alternate shipping method—USPS—was almost $60!
    | Sunfish Mast, Repaired from a fracture... | SailingForums.com

This mast (and a new one) are still available in central Florida for April, but I'll transport either mast free using the I-77 and I-81 corridor up the eastern coast. Look for the trip beginning in early May.