Sunfish mast

Discussion in 'Sunfish Talk' started by alberto marin, Jul 9, 2016.

1. mixmkr

mixmkr Active Member

The first sunfishes did use tree trunks. I'm surprised they're not totally plastic nowadays. Old pole vault poles?

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. fhhuber

fhhuber Member

3. Stache

Stache Member

It may or may not work for a mast tube but... check into "unaccompanied baggage" on Greyhound or other bus company. Time may not be express and length may not work but worth a call. I know skiers that send their skiis ahead by bus or UPS rather than pay the checked baggage fee on planes.

• Like Like x 1
  4. alberto marin

alberto marin New Member

This note for Light and Variable Winds: I can wait until Oct. How far south on highway 27 are you driving and how much are you willing to sell it for? A friend gave me his old Sunfish but did not have a mast.

5. alberto marin

alberto marin New Member

I was able to find a metal supplier within 1 hour of my house that sells 6061-T6 aluminum. It is about $60 for a 12 foot piece of 2 1/4" OD, 0.083 thick. The only question that I have is that this aluminum is NOT anodized. Can I still use it?

6. Light and Variable Winds

Light and Variable Winds Well-Known Member

As for my price: I only want to recover my cost plus inflation. (So, whatever the lowest price you can find is "the price".) "Freight" involves your picking it up.

Yes, but it would be better if your present sail is already black (or gray) ! ;)

(I thought a local supplier was "out there"—some offer free delivery!) :)

A bargain! :cool: Have the supplier cut it to 10-length: he'll use a better method of cutting than the non-professional. First, make sure both ends are "square". :confused: One coat of "chrome"-color spray paint (which looks like aluminum :oops: ) will protect your sail for several seasons. (A can of spray-paint is frequently referred to as a "bug-spray can"). :D

Some Florida communities use aluminum sign posts. These turn up at "recycling yards" for peanuts. :rolleyes:

7. fhhuber

fhhuber Member

Anodizing isn't really all that hard to do yourself... and you get to pick the color.

The main issue will be finding the "pan" to do it in for a piece that long.

Anodizing and dyeing aluminum without battery acid...

To not end up with a line down the tube you need to make conductive supports that hold the tube off the bottom, but maintain the electrical contact with the cathode.

Note: the gooseneck will tend to scrape anodizing off over time. Just a fact of metal rubbing on metal.

8. Light and Variable Winds

While I would hate to cut one of my new masts to 8' to save on the $150 freighting charge :( the two pieces you receive can be rejoined with a metal "scrap" pipe from a muffler shop (with pop-rivets and anti-corrosives). As an internal "sleeve", it's a perfect fit where masts tend to fold—would likely be free—and you can always ask for stainless steel. :cool:

Search here for "Meineke", as there are three threads on the subject.

9. beldar boathead

beldar boathead Well-Known Member

Btw, for the record, masts do not "tend to fold." I've seen ones used in salt water snap at the deck or gooseneck, but having sailed Sunfish, and raced a lot, for decades, I have never seen one fold. LVW had one fold, and he can clarify, but I don't think that was an OEM Sunfiah mast.

10. Light and Variable Winds

• As BB has stated earlier, the mast can break at the gooseneck. That's about the right place for a "Meineke sleeve" when restoring a new—but chopped for shipping purposes—8-foot mast to the regulation 10-foot mast. :)

• There's a definite bend to my old, broken, mast. Perhaps it would be better to say my broken mast appears to have "started to fold"—when it "fractured". ;)

GEDC0014.JPG

Which reminds me: I've got to get the "Meineke sleeved" mast onto Craigslist. ;)

Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
  11. danpal

danpal Active Member

When you're finished using it as a mast you might consider converting it to a Swiss horn. Looks like you're half way there.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Light and Variable Winds

:rolleyes: Very funny—but too late—the repaired mast has already been straightened. ;)

Unless you want a lesson in the value of solar burning of your fingers, don't anodize to the color—BLACK! :eek:

13. Rudder

Rudder New Member

Early 80's, some sunfish were made with black anodized mast and booms. Looked pretty nice.

14. Webfoot1

Webfoot1 Active Member

Well a boom can be repaired. Finally got around to pulling the 2 sail out of the bag from a free Sunfish. The boom from the front to behind the
    goose-neck was a separate piece inserted over the boom and welded on with a circular weld. I'm wondering if this is class legal for racing? Boats
    are funny in that you can see the mark of more that one owner in the repairs. Early repairs are professional and later repairs tend to be a bit sloppy.

15. Webfoot1

Webfoot1 Active Member

If you need to get sailing a 2 inch pvc pipe fits the mast hole better than a Sunfish mast. You would need to cap both ends and
    go old-style with a pulley at the top of the mast. Should work well on the cheap until something better comes along.

16. beldar boathead

beldar boathead Well-Known Member

That will not work at all. It'll bend like crazy.

17. Light and Variable Winds

Try schedule 80 PVC, it comes in gray or black. Thicker wall thickness. Curious if it's workable.

18. fhhuber

fhhuber Member

PVC might work in light winds... Really light winds.

Since PVC pipe is sized by inner diameter and schedule 80 is heavy wall, that may not fit.

19. Light and Variable Winds

Yeah...and it's not class-legal for Sunfish racing...! :p

Yeah. That's what I've thought for decades :confused: but the following site shows the inner dimension is actually smaller :oops: :
    Schedule 40/80 PVC Pipe Dimensions & Sizes | Pipe & Fitting Specifications

• The PVC could be strengthened internally by fitting a smaller diameter PVC or CPVC pipe, and filling the interior space with GREAT STUFF™ (for flotation) and/or epoxy (for strength). Or go with the free "Meineke sleeve" route.

Webfoot1 is onto something! :cool:

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  20. sailcraftri

sailcraftri Well-Known Member

All this makes for one heavy mast in the end.