Sunfish mast

Discussion in 'Sunfish Talk' started by alberto marin, Jul 9, 2016.

1. alberto marin

alberto marin New Member

I need a mast for my Sunfish. Is there anyone who can help me find one. I am located in Fort Myers, FL
    Thanks

2. fhhuber

fhhuber Member

3. Light and Variable Winds

Light and Variable Winds Well-Known Member

The local aluminum supplier normally has them in 20' lengths. You may see a charge for cutting ONE to a 10' length.

If you buy two 10' lengths, you could sell one here at the forum or Craigslist, and there may not be a charge for the cutting.

Freight is another matter! :eek:

4. fhhuber

fhhuber Member

freight on the 10 ft aluminum tube is the killer...
    A metal supplier gets truckloads of long material every week. Stuffing a length of tube on the truck won't add significantly (if at all) to the shipping for that week's load.

5. signal charlie

signal charlie Active Member Staff Member

6. Light and Variable Winds

Oh yes...Don't have it cut by a pipe cutter, as it will shrink the cut ends--then the Sunfish end caps won't fit. :confused:

The dealer should use a HD mechanical hacksaw or special circular saw--for metal.

If you're within a few miles of the ocean, I'd coat the inside of the mast (and spars, while you're at it) with an anti-corrosive grease, oil or paste.

7. jleguy

jleguy New Member

8. alberto marin

alberto marin New Member

what kind of aluminum should I order. I found on one of the forums that I need to use 6063 anodized aluminum 2.25" OD, 0.065 thickness, gauge 16. I have not been able to find any aluminum supplier in FL that sells it and when I go online the cost is prohibitive ($150 shipping for a $30 piece of tubing)

9. alberto marin

alberto marin New Member

What is the internal diameter of the tubing? I need to be able to make the caps fit

10. beldar boathead

beldar boathead Well-Known Member

Has anyone here actually bought mast tubes as discussed above, or is this speculation that maybe it could be done?

11. Light and Variable Winds

Two years ago, a friend bought two 20-footers in Rhode Island—or maybe it was Massachusetts—had them cut into four masts, and drove up on another mission to deliver them to me. I still have the three new ones, and have since sleeved the old one, which had "folded" on me in a storm.

[​IMG]

I list them on a New Hampshire forum for the best price the prospective buyer can gather from the Internet, and don't charge for freight. (They are to drive here, and pick them up). No sales as yet, but aluminum prices aren't going down. ;)

Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
  12. alberto marin

alberto marin New Member

I am in Florida. Is there a way that you could sell me one of those and ship it to me?

13. mixmkr

mixmkr Active Member

14. fhhuber

fhhuber Member

The problem is:

15. Light and Variable Winds

:( Dunno—like to. :) Check on the note, quoted below:

I'm in central New Hampshire. If you can wait until October, I can personally drive a ten-footer down through Florida's Route 27, in Central Florida. In the meantime, check on 1700 miles of "freight". This may be too much money for you; surely, there are local Florida metal suppliers with this in stock. You may have to buy two—or pay a surcharge for one 10-footer.

Come to think of it, my "sleeved" mast repair-job can come apart for shipping—not "freight". :) (Unless I cut a few inches off the longer piece, it'd still be a little over 8-feet long). :oops:

Now that I know that a broken mast can be satisfactorily repaired, I'm curious—was this Sunfish mast lost through theft, damage, a "sailing misadventure" :eek: or something else?

"Trade-ins" accepted! :cool:

16. beldar boathead

Have you checked with Florida Sunfish dealers? Dealer Locator

17. mixmkr

mixmkr Active Member

Or anotber cheap used fish for parts...

18. sailcraftri

sailcraftri Well-Known Member

The mast wall thickness is NOT 0.065". It is 0.085" thick wall. The 0.065" wall thickness is for the booms only!

19. sailcraftri

sailcraftri Well-Known Member

0.083" not 0.085" sorry

20. beldar boathead

I have long advocated for using a tree as the mast. A nice straight tree trunk of the right diameter would be virtually free. However no one has tried out my proposal.

• Like Like x 1