Sunfish Mast Needed

Discussion in 'Sunfish Wanted Ads' started by betachz, Jul 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. betachz

betachz New Member

Looking for a sunfish mast to replace mine that sunk to the bottom of Lake Benbrook this past weekend. Seems it's almost as expensive to have one shipped as it is to buy one new... so I"m looking for anyone who might want to sell me a spare they might have laying around.

On a related note, anyone know how to seal the mast up nice so it floats when the cap comes off :( My friend was sailng it and capsized and the cap at the top came off and filled with water and sank. Thoughts would be appreciated. :)

THanks

2. dinghyone

dinghyone Curmudgeon

Call me @ 817-266-7816
    I can probably help you
    dinghyone at att dot net

3. Wavedancer

Wavedancer Upside down? Staff Member

Normally, the halyard keeps the mast with the boat, assuming the halyard is tied to the deck cleat, rather than a mast cleat. And the mast cap is kept in place with one or two small pins. I speculate that your friend didn't rig his boat correctly or that parts were missing.

4. betachz

betachz New Member

Thanks for the mast (worked great) and the tips. My email is shannan@knockdesign.com. Please add me to your arlingtonyachtclub.org mailing list.

Thanks!

5. betachz

betachz New Member

Actually we had it rigged properly, but based on couple additions that most racers use we now have a mast with racquet balls at each end, Rivits instead of the silly pins in top and bottom and silocone sealed so it will float no problem. The other addition was a mast cleat to suppliment the deck cleat for redundency and to keep the tension that keeps the sail up on the mast and the tension that keeps the mast on the boat only on the deck cleat. What probably happened (and I was not on the boat when all this happened) was that she somehow go the halyard off the deck cleat and then when capsized all hell broke lose. Not to mention that those SILLY LITTLE PINS were in the MAST CAP but somehow they had let go of the mast itself. I suggest somehting more permanent :)

Thanks everyone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.