Sun Fish.

Cap316

i have been interested in getting a Sunfish, are they good beginner boats? I have sailed in a comet and a lightning class boats. It would only be on a lake and/or Really big pond

I think they are excellent beginner boats, but the best part is after you are no longer a beginner, there is no need to move on. They remain very satisfying, fun boats.

Ok. they look like they are good boats. Are they "tippy" in the water? it looks like they would be, but i guess if you put they Keel (i think that's it) it would be more sturdy.

Compared to heavier and larger boats, they are sensitive to where you sit on the boat. If the boat or wind changes direction, you may have to move quickly to prevent a capsize. I'm a beginner, and since last summer, I've only capsized once. That happened when I was raising the sail at a dock in 20 knot winds and not in the boat.

Ok. they look like they are good boats. Are they "tippy" in the water? it looks like they would be, but i guess if you put they Keel (i think that's it) it would be more sturdy.

Sooner or later you will capsize. But the boat is easy to right and you should practice recovering from a capsize so that you will be confident when the moment comes.
I am not teasing you. I participated in the Mid-Atlantic Regional Championship this past weekend. The winds were strong; 15-20 mph and several of us ended up swimming. But nobody needed to be rescued.

Oh...thanks... I only sail on lakes, an i have never in my 15 years of living on the lake seen a boat capsise so... but is it easy to recover from one?

[From the “Another 2 cents Dept”]

Sunfish is a personal size sailboat in much the same way a mountain bike is a personal size sports vehicle. Like a mtn bike, when you tip your Sunfish, it’s all part of pushing the envelope for the fun - and a whole lot softer landing. You flip it back up and jump back on. Sunfish on You-Tube has lots of examples at lots of levels ( http://www.youtube.com/groups_videos?name=sunfish )

This short video is pretty basic but from mid-way through shows
what I consider good examples of all-around Sunfish sailing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gv-77scn55I
There are some real kick-ass boats but few you can dial up or back like Sunfish.​

The Sunfish is really easy to right after a capsize. Use the center board as a lever. Grab the center board and pull it down to the water. As the boat starts to right itself you might have to reach further and grab the deck and continue pulling the boat upright. If your sail was cleated before, during and after the capsize, release the cleat.

Back