Stuff it Kirby!!

Discussion in 'Laser Class Politics' started by gouvernail, Oct 29, 2011.

?

Are you one of the 122 or the 1017?

Poll closed Jan 27, 2012.
  1. I voted NO

71.4%
  2. I voted for the rule change

28.6%
  1. Tillerman

Tillerman Member

And no word either on what happened at the ILCA Word Council on Nov 5/6.

I just sent off my check to renew my membership of ILCA for one more year. I hope I didn't make a bad investment?

2. Deimos

Deimos Member

Still no new ? I would have expected some word fro the leadership to the membership - just to let them know what is going on. Sort of polite given that they are there elected by and thus acting on behalf of the membership.

3. 49208

49208 Tentmaker

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  4. Wavedancer

Wavedancer Upside down? Staff Member

I was going to point out to Deimos that mushrooms are now in the really dark winter season in the Northern hemisphere, but 49208 already made that point in a nicer way.

5. SFBayLaser

SFBayLaser Member

6. 49208

49208 Tentmaker

Not a good sign that Metchick has bailed out for Morris Yachts..

7. 49208

49208 Tentmaker

So, after reading Heini's update, I'm a bit unclear on the status of the boats produced by LP ? IIRC, you need the ISAF plaque to certify the boat as being a class legal Laser, is LP still being issued plaques ?

8. Tillerman

Tillerman Member

I am more than a bit unclear after reading Heini's update. He says we can't "enact" the rule change but doesn't specifically say why. Is it because ISAF won't approve the change? Is the old rule still in force? If so, then any builder that doesn't have an agreement with Bruce Kirby or Bruce Kirby Inc. cannot build legal Lasers approved by the class. Does this mean that all boats now being built by LP Europe are no longer legal (plaque or no plaque)? Or don't we even know?

I thought this vote was supposed to save the Laser Class from being split three ways, but almost a year after the rule change was initially proposed, Heini still says the existence of the Laser Class is "threatened".

9. Tillerman

Tillerman Member

Please tell us more. Why is it not a good sign? And how is it related to the Laser class issues?

10. 49208

49208 Tentmaker

Doug Metchick was the global Exec director of LP. I don't profess to be a fortune teller, but when top execs leave and move what to me looks laterally, there is usually something to read between the lines.

Google might shed some light on who exactly owns LP

11. gouvernail

gouvernail Active Member

A man and his wife owned a very special goose. Every day the goose would lay a golden egg, which made the couple very rich.

"Just think," said the man's wife, "If we could have all the golden eggs that are inside the goose, we could be richer much faster."

"You're right," said her husband, "We wouldn't have to wait for the goose to lay her egg every day."

So, the couple killed the goose and cut her open, only to find that she was just like every other goose. She had no golden eggs inside of her at all, and they had no more golden eggs.

.......Aesop

12. Wavedancer

Wavedancer Upside down? Staff Member

Will the upcoming Olympics 'encourage' the warring parties to settle?

13. 49208

49208 Tentmaker

Doubt it - It seems like it is more involved then just a disagreement. That just seems to be one of the results of a deeper problem for one of the builders..

14. Tillerman

Tillerman Member

Will the upcoming Olympics be sailed in boats that cannot be approved by the class as legal Lasers and Laser Radials?

15. AlanD

AlanD Former ISAF Laser Measurer

Well that's situation normal actually. They generally don't have sail numbers or sail numbers that match the boat, generally they have just national letters at the last few Olympics. At the recent worlds in Perth, they only had 3 digit sail numbers.[​IMG]

16. gouvernail

gouvernail Active Member

not looking like a medal winning start for that USA sailor....

17. Eric_R

Eric_R D10 Secretary

Yah but a medal winning finish is all that matters.

18. Tillerman

Tillerman Member

Going back because she thought she might have been OCS and then coming back to take second in the medal race and win the gold medal! Go Anna!

19. Merrily

Merrily Administrator Staff Member

I'm confused. Anna Tunnicliff sailed an Elliott 6 at Perth this year. Paige Railey was the U.S. Radial sailor at Perth this year (got a bronze and qualified the US for the Olympics).

20. 49208

49208 Tentmaker

The pic above is the medal race from 2008 Oly.