straps or cleats?

Discussion in 'Capri/Catalina 14 Talk' started by ritzpro, Jun 1, 2004.

1. ritzpro

ritzpro New Member

I've read some posts about having cleats for fenders and docking, but I'm wondering about the advisability of an alternative idea: creating short strap loops instead of cleats.

I'm imagining drilling two holes about six inches apart out where you would put a cleat, and then, like the traveler, put a short piece of line through the holes with stopper knots so the loop sticks up through the top of the deck. I'm thinking about a pair on either side of the bow, a pair just forward of the beam and a pair just forward of the transmo.

Why? A couple of reasons: softer on my behind when I sit on it. Easy for the kids to grab a hold when then fall over. Simple to tie a lifting bridle, or fenders to it.

Any reasons why this is not a good idea? Anyone done anything like this?

2. paulsheller

paulsheller Administrator Staff Member

I like this idea. I have not installed cleats for the same reasons you mention.

Currently I keep a line tied to the eye in the front, and a line tied around each shroud. It seems to work OK for me, but I worry about the lines around the shrouds.

3. ritzpro

ritzpro New Member

I've tried the same thing, but it doesn't really put the fenders in the right place, nor does it serve any of the other ideas.