Storage questions

flounder43

It is the end of the sailing season here in Minnesota, and I have some questions.

I am storing the boat outside, on the trailer, with tarps. Is it recommended that I de-rig the boat completely and take off all of the lines? I took off the halyards, but what about the jib, main sheet lines? Any other tips? Thanks!

rarely do I completely derig..

Yep, we are basically in winter now too.. 29 degrees this morning...

I configure it like I would to trailer to a lake... then tarp as much as I can of the mast/hull. Most years the ends of the mast are exposed. I left the battery in the cubby too... not sure if that was a good idea.

Because of this, in the 10 years I have owned the boat, I had to replace the original sheave at the top of the mast (maybe just age, I dunno)...

If you have TONS of money in specialized lines for the boat.. I could see your argument to derig completely.

Yeah, its cold here in San Diego too as I've had to break out my winter shorts :rolleyes:. It was a chilly 78 today. Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Good Idea... I will put my house up for sale... I am sure it will sell fast, and for half what it was worth when I finished it.

Sorry, nope... Besides... I'll take winters over the LEFT coast any day.

Thanks guys.

Shnool,

Please, stay put! I'll take the lefties with a grain and enjoy the near perfect (for me) climate. Laser sailing was great this weekend but on Sunday the cold bite of winter came out as it was just a sunny 68 on the water. The 15-17 knots of wind made it worth putting long sleeves on for the day. lol:D. Sorry to hear about the house but it doesn't matter as long as you're staying there as it will recover.

Storage questions and battery

Interesting thread. Today or tomorrow I'm picking up a 1987 14 that's been on a trailer in the weeds for over 10 years. Blue tarp pieces crumbling in the cockpit, main in pieces from UV and mice, moss on the running rigging. See the attached picture. I'm pretty sure that's not how it's supposed to be done.

Shnool - earlier you mentioned leaving the battery on the boat for the winter. It's not such a good idea to leave a battery where it can be consistently below 32deg. In general it's better if you remove the battery now, top off the cells with distilled water, then fully charge it. Store it someplace where it won't freeze, then every 2 or 3 months re-charge the battery. I've been told not to leave it directly on a concrete basement floor; not sure about that but I always put mine on a piece of 2X wood. Is that like not stepping on a crack?

Attachments

• C14 in the weeds.JPG
    C14 in the weeds.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 99
Hows the new boat? Did you get it out of the weeds? 1987 was a good year for the C14.2 as I thought the boats were stiff and fast around then.

Regarding the batteries in direct contact with concrete, I was told that they discharge faster. Don't know if its true but why take the chance. Good luck and enjoy the new boat.

fan - Thanks for asking.

Since this will be a recurring topic I started a new thread - "It's out of the weeds". I'll post pictures and progress reports irregularly there.

Back