Storage for Fast Rigging

Discussion in 'Laser Talk' started by Pedal-Force, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Deimos

Deimos Member

Just been and double checked (as I keep my kicker/vang at home) and mine (a Harken one) is definitely different sizes - both length and diam. The diam is critical because they are held in place with small ball bearings that part protrude when the pin is in place and thus have to be the exact correct size or they will drop our (hence when I initially got metric sized ones available in Europe they turned-out to be no good and I had to have imperial measurement ones ordered from the US). Maybe the Harken vang has changed since I got mine so I can only make definitive statements about mine (which I got new from PSC - so nobody had drilled it out or anything nasty like that). Diam is critical. Unfortunately I cannot tell you what diam mine are as my vernier gauge is a metric one (which is no use for imperial measurements. I would have thought APS would have a Laser Harken kicker around to try some on to supply you the correct sizes.

Ian

2. Pedal-Force

Pedal-Force Member

Interesting. I'll have to check when I get home. The bottom one (vang to mast) is definitely 1/4", since I've found that related on a few sites around, including APS (but only when you go to buy the Laser Vang).

Nobody seems to mention the diameter of the top hole, but I guess I'll find out when I get home. I believe I have a standard caliper gauge somewhere. You could use the metric one and just do the conversion, couldn't you? They didn't make it something strange like 7/64" or something. The only two quick pin sizes I can find are 3/16 or 1/4", so I'd imagine it's one of those.

3. Pedal-Force

Pedal-Force Member

You're most definitely correct. I can't believe I didn't notice it before. The top hole is much smaller.

I can't find my calipers anywhere, not sure where they went.

Measuring with a ruler I'm pretty sure the top is 3/16", which makes sense as that's the other common size.

Just sent APS an e-mail asking to change my order since it hasn't shipped. The top I'm almost positive is 3/16" diam, and 0.75" usable length.

The bottom is 1/4" diam and 0.5" usable length.

I asked them for those two instead of what I ordered. Hopefully they can make the change.

4. sorosz

sorosz Member

I've owned Lockpits with 3 different boats and have had great success with them. The last one I got was a couple years ago from Sailing Pro Shop in Long Beach. It is listed on their website but currently out of stock. When I got one before that I had to place the order and then wait a long time - I believe the manufacturer makes them as a small sideline so he only makes batches periodically. It was frustrating waiting of course but it's a niche product so there isn't a huge demand (and they take up a lot of room so storing tons of them is likely to be a pain). To me, they've been worth it since it saves me having to schlep my gear around.

While it is true that a moderately determined thief could potentially decide to break in and do damage, I suspect most items that go missing in the dinghy park are a result of someone who decides they "need" those items for their sailing rather than a regular thief who is stealing stuff to sell. There probably isn't much of a resale market for stolen Laser gear so your average thief probably won't get much crack for a stolen vang. . .

5. Capsized

Capsized Member

Is there a local club in a more secure neighborhood (or with a storage space) where you could store your boat?

It will likely add to the annual cost, but for peace of mind it may be worth it.

6. Pedal-Force

Pedal-Force Member

There's two sailing clubs nearby. One is a long way across the lake, and the other is for the rich folks.

I also may not always sail at that lake. I thought about a storage place near me, but the cheapest I found was $44/month.

I feel ok leaving it in the parking lot. I'm just going to run a couple chains through the dinghy and trailer and use a couple cable locks to lock the boat to the dinghy.

I don't think the stolen market is very good for sailboats, as someone said. I don't think I'll store the sails outside though.

The spars I'll keep on the deck. The sails I'm gonna keep rolled around PVC and stored in my outside closet on the porch, along with the blade bag with all the other stuff.

I bought a 4 spar carrier from Intensity, so I'm gonna use that for the spars plus whichever sail I take. The blade bag and everything else will just go in the back of my wagon (estate for you UK folks).

I tried on my new drysuit for the first time last night. I should be worrying more about how long it takes to put that damn thing on than about rigging the boat.

7. glexpress

glexpress Member

I secure the parts for our Lasers in my condo with a Remington 870 and a Tula 54' SKS, the hulls stored in my buddies garage are protected with a similar armament, except his SKS is a Norinco, year unknown. :p